Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Gell Cells- Anyone changed their battery yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gell Cells- Anyone changed their battery yet?

Has anyone changed their battery to the GEL type (no maintanance, deep cycle)?

I believe they hold up to foul weather better than regular batteries, and in case you flip you cat (like me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) there will be no acid spilling all over.

I was even thinking of moving the battery from its current location (next to the right rear wheel on my 300) to the middle section under the seat (looks to be a storage compartment).

Has anyone tried this?

Old 01-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't even aware they made a gel battery for quads/cycles. Who makes this battery? Is it like the Omni automotive battery, with the electrolyte sealed in a fiber matt grid rolled into cylinders? I know first hand you can do anything you want to those batteries, even mount them upside down !! I have even seen ones that operated with a big chunk missing from the case,with no acid spill. Can you give me some info on this, my riding style puts a lot of strain on a battery, lots of jolts and slamming around, a gel type would definately last longer. What about price, and who sells them?

Old 01-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I am new to the ATV scene, so I can't say for sure if they make dedicated Gell cells for ATVs.

I used to road race cars, and there was some really small (ATV size) gel cells we used to use (to save weight, and not worry about vibrations). They were about $280.

I also bought a gel cell (it is for a wheel chair) recently for $75 from Sears. It is a Die hard. Its width, and height are close to my ATV's battery but its depth is twice as large.

What is an ATV's battery output? I know it is 12 volts, but what else should I be looking for to match it up to a gel cell?

Wolv, you are correct. Gel cells are vibration proof, won't let you down even when you are upside down, and basically require no maintanance.

My thoughts for moving the battery to under the seat was to try to get it out of "elements". Everytime I get near any mud the rear wheels throws it all over the battery!!

So anyone with electrical knowledge please shine some light on this subject.

Here is one on ebaY, but it seems it is for remote control cars/boats:
Gel cell

Old 01-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

There are lawn mower sized marine batteries. These are deep cycle does that mean they are gell? They are very affordable, around $35. I plan to use one on my '02 AC 500A when my battery goes out. What you need to look for in a battery is amp hour rattings (Ah), or cranking amp ratings more is better.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the information I came up with for a "dry cell" for the AC 300.

Odessey is one company which makes these batteries.

Just look at their site for your bikes application. For the AC 300 4x4 the battery number is PC680MJ. I called one of their distributors and they cost $187 (ouch) with full metal jacket and $161 without the jacket.

They can be mounted in any direction you want (on their side, etc), no breather tube (dry cell), no acid spillage, vibration resistant, deep cycle (400 cycles) all the down to 0, high cranking amps (5 seconds), and will "die" slowly at the end of its life rather than stranding you on some trail!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

Well I searched ebaY, and guess what...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Odessy Battery on ebaY

This specific battery is the one without the "metal jacket". I called Odessy and they told me the metal jacket is for Harley's!!! They have a tendency to overcharge the battery, and Odessey had a couple of instances of the battery blowing up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

So now for ATVs (because of all the junk we ride through..., and Harleys they recomend the metal jacket version.

The actual battery is the same between PC680, and the PC680MJ.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

You can buy the Gel Cells at NAPA.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is too cool. So now I can get a battery with a full metal jacket. Maybe they should change the part # to PC680FMJ. Strange though, I have never heard of a Harley blowing a battery, though I tend to know only the older hardware.

I do have a question though, do we really want a deep cycle battery for ATV use? Is that really a proper application? Vibration resistant, and no acid leaks seems like a plus. But for $187, seems fairly excessive for an "average user", whatever that is. I guess it doesn't make much sense to me as I have never had a battery problem yet. Oh crap, now I'm in trouble. I have always maintained my batteries with a floating voltage charger and distilled water, the 1 in the ATV is 2 years old, the 1 in the Harley is 4+, never a problem. I guess I'm missing something.

65fl

Old 01-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

65fl, your not missing anything....

I wanted to move my battery to underneath my seat and that is how this whole idea got started. I wanted to turn it on its side, and of course you can't do that with the stock one.

The ebaY seller is selling them for $70 (see link), and he did reply back to me that it is the correct application for my AC 300.

Deep cycle is just another advantage to this battery, not that is useful for everybody.

So if you battery gives up the ghost this is just another option with certain advantages instead of replacing it with a stock one.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally went to Odessey's web site and checked them out. Pretty neat technology and I understand why you want one. I guess where I got thrown off was the term "Deep Cycle", as in use for trolling motors, etc where the battery is fully discharged (or close too it) then recharged. I was always taught that a deep cycle battery should not be used for starting a motor as they don't have the cranking amps to perform that function. Of course the reverse holds true also. Looks like the manufactures of these dry cells were able to solve that issue and offer other benefits that you previously mentioned. I guess I've been living in a cave. Good luck with your choice.

65fl

Quick Reply: Gell Cells- Anyone changed their battery yet?