Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

guess what sxr6 or whatever your name is. I have been ridding since you have been in diapers,so dont tell me i need lessons.
And for your informantion the brake tip DOES WORK!! I seen it with the honda I seen it with the grizz. I have seen it with the rancher!!!

And yes one tire had no traction which was the one spinning,and the other tire that could have pulled me out did nothing. Now when the honda went up the same exact thing i did, his tire started spinning and his other had the traction just like mine. and GUESS WHAT!! he grabbed his front brake and off and up he went.

So dont set the and tell me it dont happen cause i know good and well it does!!! I have seen it!.

On deep straight mud noone can touch me. I have them beat ! but get the AC going up and at an angle to where only one tire spinns and its gone might as well get out the strap

Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I think you guys are miss understanding something

I made it through the hole after about 5 minutes of working it,but getting up the other side is where he got me. Yess all fours were spinning when they had no traction,but waiting on the other side was a slightly slopped "made the bike go up tiled to the right"and steep incline. It was also hardeded slick wet gumbo "just as if it where concrete" The hondas right front tire was not spinning, his left was. He reached up grabbed his front brake an i watched with my own eyes the right tire spinn and pull him up like it wasnt nothing.

So you tell me it doesnt work

Old 03-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Diapers Catcrazy??? I'm 49 years young, it's a wonder your still riding at your age? Far more expieranced people than you or me are on here, Andy has always posted true & respected replys, beware your ace card it looks like a joker to me.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I know the feeling, I'm the same way. Like we always say out on the trail. We can smoke the Honda's, but they will be pulling us back to camp. No, wait, that's when I had the Polaris.
LOL!!

Old 03-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You don't sound very happy with the AC. In fact, you sound downright disgusted. Might look into a Rincon or something to be honest. That has the brake system that you like and still has the ground clearance, not to mention no belt drive to get wet and a bit more power on tap.

I've honestly never seen the brake tap thing help out at all, and it didn't help that Rubicon getting out of that hole yesterday either. He got out, but thats cause he was monkeying around all over the quad jumping on the front and rear racks while laying onto the gas and turning the wheels. But if you say so, then maybe it has something to do with the fact that the AC's front and rear brakes are linked together. I've done the brake tap on my Yamaha and never got anything more than a slight kick from the grounded tire and then back to spinning free. But of course thats about the time I push in the little yellow button and drive on out or up (whichever applies to the situation).

If you plan on welding you differential, I hope you don't ride anything more than mud, because that would make that quad virtually worthless for any and all trail applications. My quad is impossible to steer while locked, and I couldn't ever think about having to drive it that way at all times.

You weren't riding these things when I was in diapers either. Granted I'm only 28, but I had a bike in 1985 and they didn't even start making them with 4 wheels until 84. I guess I'm one year out of the loop then. And of course, you wouldn't be getting anything out of the brake tap method while riding a 2 wheel drive 84 Honda 200 TRX, 84 Kawasaki Bayou 185, or an 84 Suzuki 125 either. Number one, the 2wd would obviously not permit such a thing and number 2, the mechanical disc brakes at the time were basically worthless anyway.

Oh, while we're on that mud subject, I saw (either a 450 or a Rubi, can't remember) get stuck in this hole and had to be pulled out- he had Radial Outlaws (they looked like 26's). Then the Rubi we were with that did the massive 3wheeling thing went through after a lot of jumping on the racks. He had 27" 589's. In my opinion, an average mud tire, but nothing to scream about. And finally, my buddy with his Rubi and 27" Claws. He went right on through. And of course some guy was curious enough to ask him "What kind of tires do you have on that thing?".

His reply.... "The right ones"

Old 03-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

It's all in the rider.........................Oh yah i run those rubber tires.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

ive got you beat by 4

Look i like the Cats.if i didnt i wouldnt have bought 2 of them,i know there are some of you out there that like the young man that told me i needed ridding lessons who get partial with their bikes. But im not going to set hear and get into a pissing match with some jack leg from canada.
I know my bikes and i know what i expect from them. I was not expecting One tire to not pull as easily as the cats.

I did find a locker for the cat though!!! Of course for some stupid reason AC welded their internal housing shut so you do have to have a laser to cut this weld.

I have always been a honda fan!!! And will until im in the ground,but im not counting out the cats. i think they are a great bike,but they also need to keep in mind that their are more poeple who look for front diff options than people who dont. All i heard about was how great the Cats front diff was. How the tire with the most traction got the power. BULL SH*&. Its a lie.

Now Can the AC500i Hang with your 660. YES in a heart beat! Can the 500i hang with the foreman rincon rubecon, Yes without hesitation! But where you get the Cats is on angled climbs. You go to 3 wheel drive where others have four.

This 500i has got more RAW TORQUE and Power Balance than any quad I have ever riddin. Yes more than the foreman, About the same as the 600/660 grizz. Havent riddin the 03 660s yet,or the new Rincon.
And since srx6 knows everything he can be the one who tells you what Raw power and power balance is.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well CatKrazy, I guess since you have everyone beat in the "riding experience" department. haha...heh...heh...(come back to EARTH)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Reading your scenerio, I think it is an issue of "the right tire".... Not the front diff. I don't think Zillas can hold a candle to Vamps.
Originally posted by: Andy Bassham
"What kind of tires do you have on that thing?".

His reply.... "The right ones"
Something to ponder on........

Old 03-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well

Mr Pro, Take you and your auto Cat out with a new foreman and see for yourself.
It wasnt the tires,later that day i smoked the yamahammer and the foreman is some deep,straight nasty ,grease like hole on down the trail. They couldnt touch me. We all drove in stop side by side and checked our tires. The zillas where cleaned with some gook in the treads still, the vamps where slicked over.

I dont have a problem with the tires.

If you go to polls in this same forum and find the one about mud tires,you will cleanly see that more have chosed the zillas to be the best so far

Old 03-12-2003, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

You can't complain to much.I don't think any of those locked front quads compete very closely with your cat on price.I only have a 250 cat but the front does lock and this will take you out in a few select situations such as uneven terrain but speed and power will take you most everwhere else.

Quick Reply: Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"