Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"

To quote vewdew
"...if someone has to pull me out of a hole, so be it. Its all in fun."

That's what we're talkin' 'bout!!! We all want to win!!! But sometimes it just may be that we get caught in a bad "line" thru the mud.

I'm not saying that the diff could NOT use improvement...I would love to have a selectable front diff (locker/unlocker) it would be sweet. I will not however weld it to be permanently locked. I would like to here how yours works when you get it welded and installed though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orignally posted by: CrazyKat
You guys dont know SH&* even if it were stuck to your hand

I love watching all you "Pros" Mouth off and hide behind the truth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and no need to get this irrate when you asked for our opinion!! We are here to help one another, but enough already...you made your point...you need a locker get a locker...then post and tell us how great it is!!!

This has been an interest dicussion, none the less!! I hope you are not offended!!!

Old 03-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

nahhh
Im tired,Ive been laying tile all day,plus my father in law came by with a friend and was mouthing again. Its cool! Im going to make a few changes and by the end of the month i looking at getting the locker put in. According to howie it will not be welded, If it is , i could do it myself. I havent broke this diff down to see if there is a place where i can reach the spiders and worms, If there is I could weld it up easliy myself,but I dont want to do that, I would just like to have that comfort of knowing i could change it back to LS if I wanted to.

Old 03-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I hope some day in the near future...there will be an aftermarket company that can cater to us CAT guys.
I feel we've been kinda left behind in that respect.

I keep hearing that BlackMagic is going to start making performance parts for the AC quads...but I have not seen anything that indicates that it will be very soon!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Until then we'll just keep riding...!!

Old 03-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CatKrazy
nahhh
Im tired,Ive been laying tile all day,plus my father in law came by with a friend and was mouthing again. Its cool! Im going to make a few changes and by the end of the month i looking at getting the locker put in. According to howie it will not be welded, If it is , i could do it myself. I havent broke this diff down to see if there is a place where i can reach the spiders and worms, If there is I could weld it up easliy myself,but I dont want to do that, I would just like to have that comfort of knowing i could change it back to LS if I wanted to.

I know all about the mouthing. More so with the sleds, its a constant battle up the camp with Cat and Bombardier. :] Also my Kodiak friends all mouth about "mine is a 400 and is 15 KM pr hr faster" But i pull them out of huge holes hehe. Ahh well. All i do is keep the camera handy (bought a digital in January) and i will have a LOAD of pics to share this year of other brands failing. :] I should lock the front end on mine as well, its a tank to drive anyhow, full time 4x4, no 2wd.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Oh my

With the big zillas I have on there now, its darn mear impossible to stear it. My bushing is already starting to squeak and make noises

Old 03-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Ya when my rebuild is finished in not going any bigger than the 25s that are on it. With a lift that will be fine. Its to tiring to ride when we do the long hauls. (110KMs one way to the cottage)

Old 03-13-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

i have less than 100 in everything. i got the master cylinder off a used yamaha. you can go that way to save some money. now the brake line took some rigging. what i had to do because the master cylinder of a honda are yamaha uses a bango bolt was take the line from the tee going to both the front tires and cut of the male tread with a tubbing cutter. then i can a union for a 3/16 line and joined them together. i used this line to connect to the right side (yamaha master cylinder to the right front tire) i used the rear brake line for the left front tire. if i had it to do again i would buy a one solid line about 55 inches long with a bango bolt on one end and a male thread on the other end for the left side. all needs to be 3/16 braided. hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

After the ride Saturday, the Cat front diff is coming out to be locked. If i can get to the spiders it will be Lincoln locked, if not Howie locked. I bought the most narrow 28s you can get, 28x8x12 Zillas for the front because i knew i was going to lock it. I will run 25 lbs in the front tires and toe out the tires just a little to make it easier to steer. I have ridden other locked bikes that have done this and to be honest it really is not bad. If you run wide tires in the front it is almost impossible to turn on hard pack. The benefit is worth it if you compete.

I will send Gorilla my axles for measurement while its tore down. The Gorillas are only $350.00 each + shipping. Wheres my credit card?

Where we ride being locked is not an option, its a requirement. The unlocked bikes just sit there and watch the big boys play.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Max: is this a mod you did for a cat? Got any pics of the mod? A friend had a rad go on a 2k kodiak and we used a rad from a firefly!!!

Old 03-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Lincoln locked,you mean wedge locked? or spot welded?

Call you Ac shop. I dont believe you can get the spiders. They sell the whole internal housing as one. It cuts down on part cost and warranty cost! This way if a gear goes bad the mechanics dont bill out to warranty hundreds of dollars and a 100 dolar part. It comes out a little cheaper getting the whole housing and installing it one time than it does to break everything down. This is why they claim is the resont they welded their front internal housings

Kinda makes since money wise,but is stupid in a way if you ask me as far as future mods for the front like not being able to lock it unles you have a laser cutter and precision weld

Quick Reply: Artic Cats 3 wheel drive 500i "Look please"