Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Kodiak or AC400????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak or AC400????

I can't see it taking 30 min to get winched outta that hole...more like 5 min tops. Rincon did you ever go on the Goshen run in Guysborough County? Now they have some SERIOUS mudholes. When you get stuck in Sadies hole you are STUCK!! It's about 200 + feet long and only way out is forward or back, no cheating by going out the side. Talk about fun!!!! A winch is manditory!!!

Back on topic, I'd go with the Kodiak 450, you'll be sorry down the road if you opt for the Kodiak 400. The cat is a great working machine but they lack the sporty feel. My y2k kodiak easily outruns my buddy's 500i. Last summer we were on a long high speed run and he blew out his seals trying to keep up with the Kodiak. Now I let him lead on the long high speed runs so he can set the pace. As a work machine I feel the cat is second to none... but speed is lacking.

Let us know what one you go with...you can't really go wrong with either the kodiak 450 or the Cat 400.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

[the belt is only about 1 inch thick, on my father in laws grizz 600 it is about 1 3/4 thick or 2 inches
Why is that?

The Kodiak uses a smaller version of the Grizz setup (belt and pulleys). It says so in their ads.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon did you ever go on the Goshen run in Guysborough County?
No I haven't, but now I want to! lol Have you been to Nancey's hole?? (on the old highway-right before folly lake) that isn't long, but pretty deep! I've been to the black hole too, up by Sutherland's Lake. It is rediculous now, people just go in and ruin there bikes (it's over my head in the spring!!)

Were you in the Wish Foundation rally last fall?? The one with 800+ bikes at Blenkhorn's camp. I'm asking this because I saw a couple of Kodiak's (green) with snorkles and mabey it was you. Let me know what color your Kodiak is, or send me a pic, and mabey we'll meet on the trails someday.

I got some pics of the trails around here, one of that bridge near Big Al's that burnt to, but the yahoo photo page isn't working but i'll get them up as soon as I can.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon

My Kodiak is green but I didn't snorkel it yet. I have the plans and will be doing it this spring. I've already swamped it once last fall and took a hell of a ribbing from my bro on his Honda ES. But he has since wisened up and bought himself a black 2003 Kodiak SE. LOL He still has the honda for his son though.

I'll have to try and get down the folly lake way this summer...I drive through that way alot travelling to the mother-in-law's place.

I had some pics here at work but I deleted them last week. The only rally I was on so far was the Goshen one but I plan to hit alot more this year.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

My Brother has a new 450, but he hasn't smartend up yet. Yahoo phot's still are down for some reason.

Old 03-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon, ya we plan on doing a lot of riding this summer... Right SAMBO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, you are more than welcome to come up here or we will travel down there. The more the merrier and im ready for a rip anytime pretty much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We wanted to take in a lot of ralleys last year and our work schedules just were wacked. I ahve weekends off now and im sure we will be doing a lot more riding. Its nothing to load up and head to truro, but i bet we could 4x4 all the way :]

Old 03-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Kindsambo, ya, 30 minutes probably was kinda long. It was the first time we used the winches (and I thought we didn't need them). We were hampered by there not being any trees to hook up to and the steepness of the edges of the puddle. Didn't help that there was a foot of muck under the water. You couldn't use another ATV as an "anchor" because the ground around this pit was slick as well. The really sad thing, though, is that this pit is now ruined because the echonazi's pressured the area's management into putting gravel on the bottom to prevent erosion. It's now just a big puddle. Still, I'm certain it would have taken more than 5 minutes.

Rincon,
UR
SOFA
KING
WE
TODD
DID.
(grins, couldn't resist. I was only trying to help, thanks for being a jerk about it.)

As for the tranny's on both these machines, well, while this trip through the water didn't ruin my brother's 375 he did manage to wreck it later on by riding through a much smaller puddle. He had to do this many times at high speed to splash sufficient water in there, but he did manage to do it. AC's auto tranny's do NOT have a drain plug (major oversight) so you have to flip them up on end to drain them. We didn't know about this trick in time.

I am not familiar with the Kodiak in water so I can't comment. I'd suspect it's not too different than all the others.

Old 03-15-2003, 03:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I got the Kodiak 400. the dealer said it wasn't really worht it to spend $1000 more for a 450. The AC seemd to not handle as well, not as peppy, not as much power, and not as tightly built. We will see how the Kodiak does for us, but it seems great! Thanks for all the input!

Old 03-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations! I am sure you're enjoy your new "toy!"

Old 03-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

We better get out vewdew!!! I booked my vacation for the first two weeks of August and plan to run the ATV's bigtime. I have to get the trailer registered thursday and then I'll be mobile again. We'll have to hook up with Rincon and get a guided tour of the Truro trails!!!!

CARROLCW BUY THE EXTENDED WARRENTY. I just found out the 4 wheel drive servos are bad on the 2003 Kodiaks. My brother is having probelms with his 2003 now. The servos blow the 3 amp fuse and there have been reports of the servos being burnt. Yamaha suggest using a 5 amp fuse instead of a 3amp. Great fix....put more power through something with a short...should do wonders for the servos. I was told they're $600 Canadain to replace. Just wanted to warn you.

No offence but I think your dealer is NUTS for saying thr 450 wasn't worth it. Disk brakes all around, locking differential, low range...etc. I hope you enjoy the Kodiak...I love mine. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Kodiak or AC400????