Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

300 4X4 tire options

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 4X4 tire options

what do ya' ll think of 25 X 10 X 12's on front and 26 X 10 X 12 on back.

i think 12 wide on back might take away to much power.

also thinking about 25X8's in front but it has 24X9's now and dont want to go to 8's
but want overall increase in height.

tire choice will either be Titan 589 mt or mudlite or wht do ya'll think will be good.

mostly trails and when i do get in mud i dont like to get stuck but plan on doing cable mod to lock front end so dont think either of these brands will let me down anyway.

appreciate all advice.

Old 03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

I think you would have no problem with 26 x 12 x 12 on the back. i am running 26 outlaws all the way around on my 300. they did take some power away from it in the top end speed. 5th high i dont use at all anymore. but speed is not what the 300 is for anyway. you might also want to think about the GBC Gators too. i think i could run 27 X 12 X 12 on the back and not have any trouble spinning them in low range. but since you are on mostly trails then the 26" in the back and 25" in the front should be no problem at all.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Arctic 330 great question I myself a 300 owner have pondered the best size tires to replace the factory 489s. I saw a guy trail riding with 25s up front and 26s in back, the guy had nothing but good things to say, like other people have said 5th gear becomes basically usless. Mudlites are a lighter tire which certainly cannot hurt especially with the under- powered 300. I would like to see more pics and responses form 300 owners who have lifted or put larger tires on their 300s. I dont wanna get in the business of replacing axles let alone ruining a weekend of riding. Reliability is very important to me, therefore whenever I consider a mod for my machine I like to hear opinions of those who have done simular things, pros and cons. Most everything that has a pro is gonna have some kinda draw back and that then becoems a a benefit analysis for your style of riding and desires.

Racnooc, I have a question. How can you run 26s front and rear with a locked differential? The bike is set up gearing wise with a difference in front and rear tire diameter. If you neglect this wouldnt your front be spinning faster? Since your diff is locked, I am thinking your front and rears wouldnt spin at the same time. With an unlocked diff you will overwork the diff and have lots of wasted power (so my logic is telling me). If you have accidentely represented that your 4x4 has the same size tires all around then thats one thing, by if you actually do I am curious as to weather it is working properly. Does anyone else follow my logic on this? I could be wrong.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

i dont want to speak for racnooc but what i have read but not done to mine yet is adjusting the cble so you can select locked, 3X4 or 2X4. i will do this to mine when i get the new tires.

you can search this site about it but i think your 2002 model isn't capable of locking.

did those people have 12 wide in the back? for some reason my "gut" tells me to just do 10 wide fraont and back.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

You are correct Arctic330, my model (2002) ac300 will NOT be able to be converted into a locking diff, like previous models (2001 and under). I wish I could, but such is life.

The guy I saw had 10 wide tires all around. This wasnt my bike so I shoudl be giving you advice off of seeing this guy on a trail and talking with him for 5 minutes. There are several members in this forum that have put larger tires on their machines and would be much more capable of giving you advice than myself.

My original post was speaking to that fact that I dont see it possibel how you can run the same diameter tire "all around" when the bike is geared and comes factory with different front and rear tire diameters. Just think about it every revolution on a larger tire is going to be further than the same complete revolution on a smaller tire. Therefore I do not see how you can change those proportions (yes of course on a 2wd machine you wont have problems). Your diff would be constantly slipping, but in the case of having a locked front diff your tires front tires (higher gear ratio) would be spinning fast than your rear (low gear ratio). To put it simply the bikes front and rear tires would be spinning at different speeds. Obviousely not what you want. I would liek to see someonee reply and agree or disagree with my logic casue this whole thing really has me thinking.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Smoke, i see your reasoning with the dfferent size tires and gear ratio between the front and back. on my 26's the back tire has more air in it than the front tires making up for the 1" difference in tire size. when i got the tires i was afraid that a 27" tire would be to big. now i wish i had got the 27"because the low range will pull them with no trouble i belive. i have had the 26" tires on for more than a year and i havent had any trouble yet. having tires the same size front and rear and doing damgae was a risk i decied to take so far it hasnt broken.

Arctic 330, i have my shift cable modified so i can go from 2wd to 4 wd, to 4 wheel lock. as far as tire width goes since i am running in mud about 80 to 90% of the time i went with the 12" wide rear tires so it will stay on top better. also the 26X12X12 outlaws have more of a side lug than the 26X12X10 did that was another reason for the 12" wide tire in the back.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

The 250/300 have a rubber cuppler on the front drive shaft that may give you enough give to get you by with same size tires if you vary the air pressure from front to back.I am not planning on taking the chance though.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

My 300 has 26 12 12 on rear and 25 10 12 on front. They are the maxxis mudzillas,there is some power loss but i gain it back with traction

Great Machine