Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Dumb question for front diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question for front diff

lets say you welded the spiders, or put a howie locker on the cat, it would still be 2wd/4wd selectable, and would it be any harder than a polaris to steer????

Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Youve got to remembe thaT T HE POLARIS IS ONLY LOCKED WHEN THE BACK TIRES SPIN This means under normal ridding the bike is only 2 wheel drive. but when there is slippage the fronts start pulling and when it pull it is locked up front.

I rode my father in laws Honda "darn I cussed" the other day and it is much much easier than i expected to steer. 2 wheel drive is sooooo much harder to turn than 4 wheel drive

Old 04-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

so if the polaris is locked would it be the same as the welded spiders, or the howie??

Old 04-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

its all done electronically, its not locked up front when it is not senseing the need for the front to pull,but when it does it will lock up the front and all fours will pull

Old 04-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

The locked front end is easier to turn in 4wd. The Polaris front ends are the best setup out there. Easy to steer and locks when 1 tire spins.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

CATS ARE TOO HEAVY!!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

hey man you know i sling the mud all over your kodiak, chad man you can't keep up!!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:29 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

The front end once welded into locked operation will be harder to steer all the time as the wheels when cornering will not slip, when you hit the throttle in 4 wheel drive the wheels will tend to want to go straight. I don't have my front locked so ODB would be better able to answer this. I know in my truck when the front end is engaged [which is locked on the truck] it is really hard to steer on pavement to the point of concern in breaking steering gear. Also if you hit the throttle on dry pavement with the wheels turned it will rip the steering wheel out of your hands as it straightens out. The only advantage in the ATV situation in the 2/4 selector is that in two wheel drive you can break the rear end loose for power turns and I suspect the fuel mileage would be better. As far as Polaris front ends go they are better,but not with out faults as far as traction goes. The issue in my mind is that it requires the rear will to loose traction first before engaging the front end, upside, you should not get caught in a bad situation with you bike in 2 wheel drive by mistake or bad judgement. Down side some places require that you do not loose traction to get the front end engaged, the best example of this is very steep down hills with loose surfaces. The best design would be like the newer Griz which allows the best of all conditions, with the exception of automatically locking from the normally run 4 wheel drive limited slip position.

Cheers Jim