ATV and MX demise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV and MX demise?

In your opinion, does the future of ATVing and MX riding look like it's getting better or worse? The environmentalists seem to always be after us for some reason, real or imagined. I know several riding places have been closed in the past few years and I was just wondering if you had good info on where we are headed.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends whee you live-

atv'in has no future in massachusetts- but it's big over the line in NH & Maine.

Also- carrent atv's are being priced right out of the younger generation- the atv industry is almost ensuring more & more adults only buy atv's- what teenage or 20ish guy can afford a new $10 - $15k atv or get financing for one?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

It all has to do with the economy, we race quads and yes the economy as of late has really put a damper on it. There is only about 1/2 the ppl racing as opposed to this time 2 years ago. When you ask why they were not at the race, they will tell you you they just could not afford it. It will get better and atving is one of those sports I feel will weather the storm of recession.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I think the guys was speaking about where your allowed to ride in the future.

Were I live in Northern Ontario Canada where you can ride for 300 miles on public land without seeing someone they would have to hire a few thousand more Game Wardens to stop people from riding which the Ontario Government can not afford.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Beergut. In New England Maine, and NH are the states that are actively trying to bring ATVers in. Maine is in the process of linking the whole state together. There are so many trails now you could spend weeks riding different trails. There are also loops being closed so you could start off in one town, ride all day, stop overnight, ride all the nest day, etc. They are really trying hard to attract the dollars the sport generates. VT is slow but has some good trails now. Mass., CT, and RI are next to useless. So, overall, I see growth.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Depends on where you live and what the political climate is.

I ride in this area all the time (for free) and there are several thousand acres of un-devloped land. This proposed devlopment is not part of the area we ride.
» Feasibility Study Complete for Armstrong County ATV Park

The center of the state also has a nice secret.
SSRT "Snow Shoe Rails to Trails"
On the surface this seems like a place to take Grandma since they only own the rail bed they cannot advertise the trails off said rail bed, of which there are 100's of miles. They also recently finished a connector to Bloody Skillet on State Forest land that only adds to the area devloped.

ATV Trails on State Forest Land

Depending on what you want to do and where you live in PA I would say we have it pretty good and it may get even better.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Default Editor's Response

Your question has been selected by the editors for our Ask the Editor column!

Originally Posted by ATV Connection
The fact of the matter is that editors surrounded by the industry 24/7 are susceptible to falling into the line of thinking that everything is fine and well. In truth the ATV industry (and off-road powersports scene in general) is faced with all of the same turmoil currently troubling the world: Natural disasters, rising gasoline costs, shaky economy, cutbacks on unnecessary spending and so on. To further compound the situation, these troubles are in addition to long-standing obstacles plaguing the industry such as the environmentalists you mentioned and lawsuit liability responsible for the closure of dedicated riding areas.
To read the rest of the response, click here!

Thanks for submitting your question!