ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

I need some advice (broken bolt)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I nned some advice (broken bolt)

I was taking the footpegs off of my 350X and the freakin bolt broke. It still has about 1/2 inch of the thread sticking out. How can I get it out? I was thinking of maybe calling a machine shop but I dont really know how much they would charge, does anyone know what kind of price Im looking at? I dont know how to weld I was thinking I could maybe try vice grips?

Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Range Rover
Default I need some advice (broken bolt)

I would try useing vises grips but spray the bolt frist with wd40 or some thing so it comes out easyer and if that dose not work then try cut a slit in the bolt big enought for a flat head srew driver and but the srew driver in the slot and turn it out but the vise grips and the wd40 have always work for me if i had enought to grap with the vise grips.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

if you could find something like PB Blaster, or CRC 556 these penetrating fluids work 100 times better than wd-40, you could also take a torch to the bolt and heat it good and then take the vice grips and crank it out

Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

I've heard of people removing small bolts out of aluminum engines by putting a nut over the top of the broken bolt, I guess the inner hole of the nut would have to be about as wide as the broken bolt. Fill the hole in the nut up with weld and try backing it out. I wouldn't try a easy out, 50% of the time they break and then your really screwed.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys I will probably just try heating it and using vice grips first. I was almost done getting every part off it was like my 3rd to last bolt to get out! I took everything off my 350X down and am going to paint it as soon as we get some decent weather here in ohio(I hear snow tomorrow). I had to use a breaker bar to get it it wasnt turning to good but I kept looking down and the bolt didnt look to be stripping but it was very hard to turn so I just kept going very slowly and then snap! It was broke. I just need to go buy a decent set of vice grips. Is one set better than the other?

Does anyone know how to get the rubber things off the frame where the plastic and seat sit on? Thanks again guys!

XDAWG

Old 03-16-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

If the bolt is at least a half inch an easy out would probably be ok. The smaller ones do usually break off. If not Wd 40 and a good set of visegrips should do the trick.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Don't heat the bolt. If you heat metal it expands. This will make the bolt even harder to get out. If you were going to heat anything it would have to be the frame where the bolt threads. Don't do that either, it will burn the paint and weaken the frame. If vice grips don't work try a small pipe wrench. If you are a good welder you could do what hrc200x said and weld a nut to the broken stud and then finish unsrewing it.

Take your time and you should be able to get it.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: peteyz24
if you could find something like PB Blaster, or CRC 556 these penetrating fluids work 100 times better than wd-40, you could also take a torch to the bolt and heat it good and then take the vice grips and crank it out
I am a diesel mechanic for a living and break more bolts in a week than most will see in a lifetime. Petey is correct..I use PB blaster and heat. Madwolverine is correct that the heat expands the metal but a bolt thread is not a perfect fit and the heat expantion actually helps to break the corrosion loose. After you heat it work the bolt back and forth do not just turn it out. After you get the bolt out I would suggest running a tap through it. If you paint the frame....when you are done it is not a bad idea to retap all the threaded holes to make sure they are up to par before installing all the other items. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I saw a commerical "as seen on TV" about busted bolts. the adapter looks like a socket, and it cuts and drives into the broken bolt, is it worth buyin?

Old 03-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

no its probly just a gimic

Quick Reply: I need some advice (broken bolt)