ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

honda 200x issues, much help needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda 200x issues, much help needed!!!!

Hi all, im new to the site and to the 200x scene. Anyways, when it comes to building motors, its never been an issue, i can do it with no problem. But heres the problem now. I have 2 200x'. The first one, i had the motor bored over to the max, put a wiseco piston in it. It has the max bore over, wiseco piston, cobra exhaust, and an oversized carb i was told. So anyways, i started driving it a little bit, just to break in the motor. anywyas, it seems to idle a little bit higher now, but i was thinking this shouldnt be a problem cause it sounds like its supposed to be idling at that rpm. so, i turn off the bike to let it cool down, cause it seemed to be running hotter than it should. so, i go to turn it back on, and i kick, and it seems like the compression is very weak. i was like, wtf, so i had my brother and his front push start me, and stuttered a little bit, then ran strong as hell. so i was like, wtf. so then, i bring it back, the motor stays on fine, but is still running hot. so i let it cool down, check the oil, oils fine, i added some just to be safe. im starting to hear the valves ticking some, so im thinking, hell, i just rebuilt the motor, probably just need readjusting. What could be the problem with it overheating? i've read earlier that the 200x motors overheat when modded. could this be the issue? if so, how would i take care of the overheating issues? thanks

Old 03-28-2004, 12:24 AM
The Facility

The maximum bore is a 67mm and I know from experience that with that piston, it WILL overheat. An oil cooler is the only way around it. I have always gotten mine from Powroll, but notice they aren't on their site anymore. Might want to call them to be sure.

Regarding the weak compression and ticking noise. You didn't acidentally get silicone into the cam oiling plug on the top fo the head did you? That's the only thing that comes to mind. A valve adjustment shouldn't be needed until at least 5 tanks of fuel on a fresh topend job.

Old 03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

As for the top end being put back on, its a funny story. First, i rebuilt the motor, and gave the trike to my brother after it was done. Only needed to change out the piston and put a new head. so that is what i did. ran superb! but then, my brother went to kick start it one day, and guess what, kick start gears were being chewn up. so, i was already tired of having to deal with the bike, so i took it to this atv shop so he can change out the gears. well, he put it all back together, so if something is wrong with the top end, its his fault. but i'll be sure to open the top end and take a good look at it. That is going to be my today project along with opening the block on my other 200x. I have the brand new clymers manual sitting downstairs waiting to be read.