ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Houston, we have a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston, we have a problem!

Hey, just got the the big red break-in close to being done, gone through about 1/2 to 3/4 tank so far, but i have a major problem..

When this thing is cold, it starts like a champ and runs like one, but when its hot, if u let off the gas when ur jus sitting there, this thing will die out in about 5 seconds or less and is one hell of a b!tch to get started again, the compression is still quite high, i thought it would be like the stock one, or so i heard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Before i put the new piston in it idoled pretty good, and if it stalled i could fire it up no problem , why so hard now all of a sudden?

Thanks
Sean

Old 06-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The idle mixture screw could be too rich. Have you tried starting by using 1/4 throttle? Hows the plug look?

Old 06-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

the plugs used to be black all the time, due to the needle jet being worn out, im goin to get a new one sometime soon i think, within this week, but now the plug is black with like a little patch of brown on it, becuase i heard the hi-comp piston makes the bike run leaner so i think thats why its sorta brown..

You say 1/4 throttle, do u mean like pulling the rip cord and hitting the throttle at the same time? If you do, yeah iv'e tryed that, i workout at the gym every second day and i can barely pull the rip cord with one hand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img], so its kinda tough, tryin to work the throttle and pull start, if it catches the compression stroke it hurts like s b!tch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img], sometimes when i try to start it, the whole thing like lifts up lol, i dont know if this amount of compression is normal or not?ill probally do a compression test during next week, any clue what it should be, im running everything stock w/ a 10.25 to 1 weisco..

One more thing, sometimes after a longer ride, say 20 mins, then ur goin down a longer road at like mid rpm , it seems like the trike loses all its power, it slows down real fast after u let off the gas and it jus wants to shut off...after it cools for awhile, today it cooled quick cuz it was so damn windy, it would fire up perfect, run perfect..im stumped...help would be great please,

Sean

Old 06-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got this link earlier this week and it had helped me with my carb adjustments. It sounds like you are having the same problems. Mainly this is about jetting, and how to check to see if your jetting is correct, but it does have a trouble shooter area. Just some ideas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/jetkit/
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/jetkit/