ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

250r from 3 wheeler and into dune buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r from 3 wheeler and into dune buggy

I recently picked up a 250r 3 wheeler froma guy for $50. It was going to be a restoration project but I decided to just use the engine in another project. Im still awaiting a couple parts to get the engine going and have a few questions about it. Bare with me, Im not a motorhead so alot my questions will be cheesy.
Im in process of buying all the parts that I need to get the engine running. I need a carb, cdi unit, coil and pick up coils, and side cover. My main source for parts will be ebay and alot of sellers dont include as much info as I would like. How Can I figure out which cdi/coil/pickup coils will work with my engine? Do all 250'rs use the same?
Im building a buggy/go-kart and my design is going to be heavy. Im not sure if this 250 will have all the power I need to get it going as fast Id like so Im probably going to want to do some engine work after I get it going. I was wondering how much power can come out of a bore kit.
Thats about all the questions I can think of now but Ill be back posting more and more lol.

Carl

Old 08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is the motor.

not much HP (for a buggy) can be squeezed out of a 250R motor unless the buggy is fairly light. what will you use the buggy for? duning? drag racing? how much will the buggy weigh? what will you use for the rear end? stock R swing arm? or custom sproket setup?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I beleive the motor is an 82. The serial # on the front had the last 2 digits 82.
The 'buggy' wont be too heavy, its going to a little larger than a go-kart but with a buggy style. for instance, A vw engine would be completely too big. I can only guess that it will weigh somwhere between 350-500.
I was going to use the rear end on the 3 wheeler but the bearings are shot, a couple sleeves are busted and its just too narrow. Ill be building my own straight axle for It. Id like to do as much of the engine work myself as possible. Ive been into nitro rc cars for awhile and lately have been modifying engines. Id like to learn how to do it on a larger scale. Can anyone hook me up with a link for this?
Thanks

Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

im not too familiar with 82 R motors and there 300 kits, but there are plenty others here that are and im sure will respond.

ive seen gokarts with 84 motors with jockshifts and used the swing arm from the R as well. you might be able to use a swing arm from a later year R like an 86+. i assume the sprockets are on the same side. i do not have a link on this, but i have seen it done.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only part of the swing arm I plan on using with be the very top. I will cut off the 'hinge' part of the swing arm, mount it on the carrier part of the kart and the rear end (with engine) will be free floating.
Ive heard alot of good stuff about the 250r's, cant wait to get mine going!!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

The 82 is aircooled and doesnt have to much hp. I ve been doing some resaerch on them because i was goin to buy one. I wouldnt buy electrical parts from ebay. Used electrical is on beay for a reason. Even though its cheapest.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much hp do the 82's have? Ive bought alot of 'electric' motor Items off ebay and havent had any bad luck yet. considering I could get 3 of whatever I need on ebay for the same price I could buy one from a used motorcycle dealership I think Im getting good deals lol. Im always cautios, I look at the feedback, previous Items sold and ofcourse I only buy if they say theyve tested the Item, whatever it may be.

Im still needing information on what electrical parts will fit on my 82. I dont want to buy one that doesnt work.
Thanks

Old 08-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well horsepower readings are hard to find and if you do find them they are inacurate. From what I found lol, they range from 23 to 29 hp. I cant find and exact reading from a brochure or test but I will keep looking because im also interested.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read somewhere that it had between 30-40 hp and then I read that It had 38hp. Im not sure about that but we can all wish.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

you're talking about the liquid cooled 85-86. that was crank HP too i believe.

Quick Reply: 250r from 3 wheeler and into dune buggy