ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Walmart tires? for 1980 Honda ATC

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart tires? for 1980 Honda ATC

Will tires from Walmart work for a 1980 Honda ATC? A friend of mine wants to buy new tires for her husband for Christmas and we have no clue what to get.

She read the measurements of the current tires as follows:

Front: 23.5 x 8.00-11
Back: 22 x 11.00-8

Any suggests, opinions, or knowledge would help thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Walmart carries a tire called a trailpro in a 22-11-8 thats a decent tire (little hard for my taste). As for the other size you might have to hit up a dealership for it, I dont know if walmart carries one that size.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WalMart has the Trail Pro's and then also Turf Tamers. Both are very general purpose tires and should last for quite a while. I think the Trail Pro's are about $90 and they should install them for that price.

From the tire sizes you listed, it sounds like a sport trike. I wouldn't get anything very aggressive. For a sport trike, I would get a more performance oriented tire like the Titan Fast Trekkers, Maxxis Razors, or Holeshots. You'll have to go to a quad shop to find these. These tires cost about $100 and up to $150.

I, personally, have the Fast Trekkers. They offer great traction but will still break loose. I find that they are wearing faster than I hoped.
Holeshots, well, you're just buying a name.
The Razors, from what I've heard, are a deal.

But the Trail Pros they sell at WalMart have an really long tread life and offer good traction. I would recommend these or the Razors.
Unless he rides in the dunes, then I don't know???

These prices should be for the pair. They are also only the rear tires. The front tire doesn't really wear that much.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: tazlittleking
Will tires from Walmart work for a 1980 Honda ATC? A friend of mine wants to buy new tires for her husband for Christmas and we have no clue what to get.

She read the measurements of the current tires as follows:

Front: 23.5 x 8.00-11
Back: 22 x 11.00-8

Any suggests, opinions, or knowledge would help thanks.
If the front needs replacing, get the exact size to replace it.

The sizes that you gave mean this:

aa.a x b.bb-c

aa.a = the outside diameter of the tire. Same thing would be the height of the tire. All sizes are in inches.

b.bb = the width of the tire. Going to be somewhere in the range of the width of the rim, a little wider in some cases.

c = the diameter of the rim on which the tire is to be mounted. This is the critical measurement that the replacement tire MUST HAVE. If these measurements don't match, the tire simply will not fit.

The first number, the tire height will have a big influence on how the three-wheeler handles.
A taller tire (for an ATC 110 would be around 22"), is suited for snow, sand, water, mud, etc. The taller tire will increase top end speed and will decrease the low speed torque and climbing ability. The ATC 110 has a 2-speed sub-tranny so that helps there. The problem with the taller tire is they raise the center of gravity (BAD) and make handling bad, (remember why they don't sell them anymore?)
For the front tire, I reccommend going with the same size. No reason to change there.

For the rear tires, you have a lot of options.
A smaller rear tire (18") will make the ATC110 really come alive in my opinion. While it lacks in flotation and a little top speed, it makes the ATC 110 handle like a DREAM! Especially on harder dirt and grass but even accelleration is increased, too. While walmart is everywhere, I reccommend checking out a motorcycle shop or ATV shop, too.
I see that you live in AZ, so you will see almost exclusively hard pack dirt there. By all means get a pair of 18x9.50-8, or 18x11-8 (wider) or a compromise would be 20x11-8. I would go no bigger than a 20", though. A really good tire is going to cost around $50-75 per tire. Tire choice can really have a drastic change in how your atc runs. I learned this 20 years ago when my family had an ATC110 and an ATC70, The 110 had 22's and the 70 had 16" or 18" and was soooo much more fun to ride!

Hope that helps,
Rex

Old 12-17-2004, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

for real.... i saw some turf tamers at walmart and some surf savers that looked like a street tire.