ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

recoil help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recoil help

the recoil in my trike is messed up the rope wont go all the way in what should i do ??

thanks

Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default recoil help

remove the recoil and clean it up some wd40 should work if its stuck.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default recoil help

take it all apart and wrap teh rope around one more time to get more spring in it then it will go in all the way

Old 01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default recoil help

ok what happens is i put it back together and the rope is in all the way and i start it and it doesnt go back in all the way about half wont go back in

Old 01-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default recoil help

Hello,
I have rebuilt / reround several of them... the first time i almost threw it through the wall trying to wind the spring back up... but it gets easier with each try... i even rebuilt one in the feild in about 15 mins. when i used nylon rope and it melted... make usre you use a heat resistent rope like cotton. some reccomend a coated steel cable, i tried this as well but the coating got too hot and melted. it would work well if you could find a heat resistent steel coated cable? the service manual is confusing to say the least. but there are a few good tips in it... i used bailing wire to make the little alighnment wire... a plieable wire makes it easier to pull out once you have aligned the spring. also, MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES AND SAFTEY GOGGLES! that spring can really do some damage if it flies out! it is a little frustrating but i was able to do it by following the instructions in the manual (availble on ebay - try seller wyomingben) and gets easier each time.
good luck,
biGjOhn

Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default recoil help

yea that really didnt help me mainlane

Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default recoil help

Ishmael-
Is it taking some of the rope back in, but not all of it? If so, here's what you need to do. Take the recoil off the trike. Remove the pulley and wind the rope around it until it is near full. Leave the end of the rope that the handle will go on empty and sticking out with plenty of extra. When you put the pulley back into the case, turn it slightly counter-clockwise so as to "engage" the recoil spring. Now put the whole thing back on the trike, but leave a bunch of extra rope hanging out the hole. Do not tie the handle on yet! Pull all of the rope out and let it wind back in as far as it will go. Do this once or twice just to get any slack out, then let it wind back in again. Where ever it stops winding back in, mark the rope at that spot, and tie your handle on just below the mark. That way it will keep the handle snugged up nicely against the recoil case. Hope this helps.