ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Weird Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Idle Problem

So my 1984 200s is running great, except for one odd problem I'm having. The idle is higher than I want it to be, to the point where it is wanting to engage the clutch at idle. If I turn down the idle using the idle adjust screw, it will slow the idle down to a certain point (which is where I have it set right now, and it's still too high) but if I turn it just a hair (even 1/16 of a turn) further, the engine dies immediately. I have good throttle response all the way from idle to redline. No backfiring, the plug looks good, and I've cleaned/soaked/blew out all the carb parts. Also, there does not appear to be any dents or divots in the throttle body slide, and it moves freely. Any suggestions? I'm stumped.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

check for intake leaks

braaaap

Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

I tried spraying carb cleaner and WD-40 all over the intake end of the carb and where the carb meets the engine. Didn't notice any change in the rpms, which makes me think I have no intake leak.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like a sticking choke problem.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Don't think its a choke issue because I've got no choke cable, and I've got the choke lever wired open.
It's really odd, because, like I said before, it idles fine until I turn the throttle adjust screw even a hair, and then it just dies. May just decide to live with it.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only other thing I can think of is a plugged idle jet. Take out the jet and blow it out with air. Only poke wire through as a last resort. "SOME" of those small jets are not round inside they are star shaped to atomize the fuel and if you poke wire or tip cleaners through you could take the edge off them.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

barrister1
Are you sure that you have the o-ring and washer in the pilot screw hole? If so, are you sure you only have 1 o-ring in there......I have seen carbs both ways........

Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

I'll check that this weekend. I did accidentally drop the new pilot screw on the floor before I put it in, but I thought I had the o-ring and washer back on before I put it in.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: broook
The only other thing I can think of is a plugged idle jet. Take out the jet and blow it out with air. Only poke wire through as a last resort. "SOME" of those small jets are not round inside they are star shaped to atomize the fuel and if you poke wire or tip cleaners through you could take the edge off them.
i would agree with that

sounds like that little idle jet is plugged up (easy to do)

i believe the idle jet on you carb is press fit,,,,,so you will need to yank it out somehow

you will probably see a good bit of crud build up

clean her out,,,,and blow the whole circuit with air

pop her back in and it should be a lot easier to tune that idle,,,using the air/fuel screw

Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i was just bouncing around the web and i came across this sight....sweet. I saw this post and had to join because I think I know your answer. I have a 185s and so do a couple of my friends. They all had this problem. The high idle. The problem lies in your carb. Specifically your "slow jet". It is the jet next to the main jet in the carb. Take it out and look at the end of it. there is a slight ridge on the very end that seats in the carb. If it has ever been cranked down to tight or has a ding or whatever then it is not seating correctly. Extra fuel is leaking by the end and feeding extra fuel to your carb at idle. I salvaged another one from an old carb I had. I don't even know if you can get them anymore. But I bet that's your problem. The difference between good and bad is so minor it's hard to tell. Start by just getting a new one if you can. And let me know if this solves it. Good luck!