ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Need Help - Tires for 1984 Honda 200x

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Tires for 1984 Honda 200x

Hello All,

I just bought a 1984 Honda 200x. It has 23.5x8-11 on the front and 22x11-8 tires on the rear. What tire size/tread would you recommend to offer the best stability (the wife may occassionally drive this), and where is a good place to buy these? I am in Orange County, CA and have found 1 dealer that has any 22x11-8 in stock, and they want $80 a tire mounted. I found some on Ebay - knobbys for $41 shipped and mud tires for $43 shipped, but I don't know if the mud tires will make the bike less stable or if there is a better option.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Rgds,

Ken O.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Depends on what type of terrain you are riding on. What terrain are you riding? If sand is your choice of riding I recommend the Sand Skate II's or Sand Sharks. If hard pack is it ,then the ITP holeshots are nice. Shop around different web sites and ebay. You will find a good deals on these somewhere. Chaparrel is up by you they have good sales on stuff all the time.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my tyres at Walmart!! $44 each They tried to mount them for $5, but were unable to( because the rims are so small, the machine they use is for car tyres) so I did it by hand its actually very easy to do if you know how to do it. You will also need high pressure air to seat the beads but Im sure some shop will let you do it.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For stability, try something with a square edge low profile like Holeshots, Razrs, or one of the myriad of similar tires. I would probably stick with the stock size for ground clearence, but going to 20" will also be more stable. Mud tires may not perform very well on hardpack and tend to be taller tires=less stable.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have tried various tires lately on my 250R and 200X.
I don't reccomend holeshots or the like for playriding, they just don't feel right on the X.
What the X seems to really like is the dunlops off a z400 or Raptor.
Yes I know they are 20x11-9 so you need new wheels.
They are a little lower but have the right feel.
Sometimes you can get them as pull-offs cheap.
Kenda Klaws in 20x11-8 are a good choice if your rims are keepers.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

atchonda185 you where talking about mounting the tires on the rim could you tell me the easy way ?

as i tried to get the tire on the rim no go 22x11x8 on a 1 peice rim

how do you get them on

thanks
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

sometimes if you soap them up enough you can get them to go on by hand,if not use a tire spoon or a small pry bar to help them go on

Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Look carefully how the rim is made it is thin on the inside then gets wider as it reaches the rim just before it reaches the rim it is flat. The trick is to get the tire onto the inner part of the rim where it will fit easily, then using air pressure the tire will be forced to move up and to sit on the rim where it is a very tight fit in order to hold air. This is called seating the bead.

this is how I did it.
First use soapy water on the tire edge and wheel rim. this will help the tire slide easeier. Keep some soapy water solution handy to pour over the tire when the going gets tough.
Put the rim on the floor then bring the tire down onto the rim at a 45 degree angle, One of the lower sides of the tire will very easily go onto the wheel. now with one hand making sure that the lower tire rim stays on the middle, thin part of the wheel, you will use your other hand to force the part of the tire about 4:00 away from there to also go onto the thin inner part of the wheel. You must get it to a point that very little pressure is needed to keep the part of the tire thats on the wheel, on the wheel. now get three long tools (I used screwdrivers but you should not as it could damage the tire) and making sure that the part of the tire on the wheel is on the centre thin part of the wheel NOT the edges, use them to gradually ease the rest of the tire onto the rim. Try to arrange the tools in a way that the tire bead doen not have to stretch to much because it will be to hard to strech it and either the tire or tool will break. One way is to move the tire down the tool with very small tool movements onto the wheel instead of moving the tool backward with the tire so high on the tool that it canno be streched. the key is MAKE SURE THE FIRST PART OF THE TIRE YOU PUT ON is on the THIN part of the wheel if its not you cannot stretch the other side enough to bring it around the rim and onto the wheel that is why the inside is thin - if not it would be impossible to mount a tire! do the same to the other side of the tire

you may have to remove the inside of the valve stem in order to genarate enough air pressure to seat the bead. You will need a speicial tool for this or you can make one with a fork like I did(I was even able to make it back into a fork!) Before you apply any air pressure look on the tire wall it should have a max allowable pressure for bead seating. If you take the tire to a car mechanic shop for seating make sure they know the max allowable pressure. A car tire is 40PSI your tire will probably be no more than 15PSI The wrong pressure could POP the tire or if not then it could deform its shape , permenantly damaging it.

I found the rims are built in a way that you could probably seat the bead with a hand air pump. I have my own compressor so I did not try a hand pump but I would not be surprised if it would work esspecially if you remove the valve inside the valve stem.

Let me know how it goes!!

Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: atchonda185
Look carefully how the rim is made it is thin on the inside then gets wider as it reaches the rim just before it reaches the rim it is flat. The trick is to get the tire onto the inner part of the rim where it will fit easily, then using air pressure the tire will be forced to move up and to sit on the rim where it is a very tight fit in order to hold air. This is called seating the bead.

this is how I did it.
First use soapy water on the tire edge and wheel rim. this will help the tire slide easeier. Keep some soapy water solution handy to pour over the tire when the going gets tough.
Put the rim on the floor then bring the tire down onto the rim at a 45 degree angle, One of the lower sides of the tire will very easily go onto the wheel. now with one hand making sure that the lower tire rim stays on the middle, thin part of the wheel, you will use your other hand to force the part of the tire about 4:00 away from there to also go onto the thin inner part of the wheel. You must get it to a point that very little pressure is needed to keep the part of the tire thats on the wheel, on the wheel. now get three long tools (I used screwdrivers but you should not as it could damage the tire) and making sure that the part of the tire on the wheel is on the centre thin part of the wheel NOT the edges, use them to gradually ease the rest of the tire onto the rim. Try to arrange the tools in a way that the tire bead doen not have to stretch to much because it will be to hard to strech it and either the tire or tool will break. One way is to move the tire down the tool with very small tool movements onto the wheel instead of moving the tool backward with the tire so high on the tool that it canno be streched. the key is MAKE SURE THE FIRST PART OF THE TIRE YOU PUT ON is on the THIN part of the wheel if its not you cannot stretch the other side enough to bring it around the rim and onto the wheel that is why the inside is thin - if not it would be impossible to mount a tire! do the same to the other side of the tire

you may have to remove the inside of the valve stem in order to genarate enough air pressure to seat the bead. You will need a speicial tool for this or you can make one with a fork like I did(I was even able to make it back into a fork!) Before you apply any air pressure look on the tire wall it should have a max allowable pressure for bead seating. If you take the tire to a car mechanic shop for seating make sure they know the max allowable pressure. A car tire is 40PSI your tire will probably be no more than 15PSI The wrong pressure could POP the tire or if not then it could deform its shape , permenantly damaging it.

I found the rims are built in a way that you could probably seat the bead with a hand air pump. I have my own compressor so I did not try a hand pump but I would not be surprised if it would work esspecially if you remove the valve inside the valve stem.

Pretty good explanation atchonda185.............I will add 1 thing......If you try to seat the beads yourself and have trouble.....Make sure the beads are real soapy and add a ratchet strap around the center of the tire, this keeps the center of the tire from expanding and puts more pressure outward to pop the bead in!

Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Originally posted by: atchonda185

this is how I did it.

Pretty good explanation atchonda185.............I will add 1 thing......If you try to seat the beads yourself and have trouble.....Make sure the beads are real soapy and add a ratchet strap around the center of the tire, this keeps the center of the tire from expanding and puts more pressure outward to pop the bead in!
Or you could just sit on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] lol.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Tires for 1984 Honda 200x