ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Need help with final drive !! Desperate...PLEASE !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with final drive !! Desperate...PLEASE !!!!!

Hey guys, I have written last month about my 250sx's rear end problem.

It was making all kinds of clanking when I drove it. Than the day I was going to pull it apart I was driving it from shed to garage and it locked up ?

Well today was D-Day to pull it apart....

I am new to this so a friend helped me..I am a car guy...

Well we got the final drive in hand and where the drive shaft conects I pulled off what looks like a seal covering a bearring. Well the bearring holder had no ***** in it. A bunch fell right out. 3 of them are wedged in there. Between the saft and case ? So we figured you need to take apart the whole final drive ??? We took all the bolts out and could not seperate it ??

Any help would be great...We just had snow yesterday and i missed out :-(

HELP !!!! HELP !!!!

Thanks in advance Alan

Old 11-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, when you seperate the rear end the ring gear should come out without much problem. Next, the Pinion gear is held in with a "special" keeper ring that you are going to prolly have to run up to your honda dealer to get them to take it out (unless you get really creative). After you remove the pinion gear you will need to remove the nut off of the end to install a new bearing, this can be a pain in the **** so be paitent. Try using a little heat but nothing glowing. The needle bearing that the end of pinion gear rides in is the key bearing to make you day go bad. You need to be VERY careful with this one. Use a die-grinder, or maybe a dremel tool to get this one out. Take your time and it will give you no problems. There is a snapring that holds this bearing in the houseing, there really isnt much need for it IMO so i wouldnt re-install it unless you just want to. The outer diff case bearings are easy, just knock them out (with care) and then install the new ones. I am not trying to sound like an *** I was just trying to walk you through the whole system as best I could. Hope this helps
-Lomax

Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do you sperate the case ? I took all the bolts out and can't seperate it ? Once i can figure out how to do that than I guess I can follow your plans...Thanks..

Alan

Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Once you remove all the bolts they usually seperate without much trouble. There should be a few little "slots" cut into the case houseing you can put a flat tip screwdriver into to help coax it apart. DONT hit it with a hammer. They could damage the case. A light tap shouldnt hurt anything against but i wouldnt advise it if you can help it. Other than that it should come right apart.
-Will