ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

camshaft seizing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft seizing

hello again i am getting very pi$$ed off at my atc i got it to run good then guess what happened next the camshaft seized!!! that little bushing that goes at the end of the camshaft well it all of a sudden seized right on there? i took it appart and hammered it off. The cam lobs are worn so bad there is a huge ridge were it doesent get touched so it wore alot for the days i was driving it. the cam has a huge ridge were it seized but i have the old on so ill put it in. why did it seize like that? and why are the lobes so wore did it not get any oil how does the oil come up there? i did what it said to pour oil in the top before running and then after about a week it does this? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

you did right by putting oil in the topend before you started it. Now what went wrong........Either the oil pump is bad (take it apart and do a good inspection on it); OR there is something wrong with the path it takes to the top end....did you make sure the head guide and o-ring are on the right rear cylinder stud ( under the head)? make sure all the oil paths are clean ( blow them out with air)
when you check your oil pump, take the cyntrifical oil filter cover off and clean it out real good.
Hope that helps a touch.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

thanks alot. so the oil pump is on the right side with the clutch? i will try blowing air first i seen a hole were it seized that must be the oil hole were does it go to?

Old 03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

yes, and yes

Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

well i got it apart and the oil pump looked fine and i blew all the holes and they seemed ok but not sure why there was no oil getting up there but i checked the oil pump and holes and everything looked ok?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default camshaft seizing

I have a 1984 200M that also has a siezed cam. Seems someone was working on the motor and used too much silicone when reassembling, took it apart and found an oil gallery plugged... Now she's a parts bike.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

hey man do you still have it how far are from st.marys maybe i could buy the three wheeler off ya mine needs a few parts here and there?

Old 03-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default camshaft seizing

I have one in perfect running order that I use, and two parts bikes.
I live near Barrie and work in Mississauga... What parts do you need?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:14 AM
The Facility
Default camshaft seizing

Sounds like the rubber oiling plug near the cam bushing was stopped up by gasket sealant.

Also, do not mix used cam bushings with cams.
They need to be replaced as a matching set whether new or used the if you plan on keeping this machine for any length of time.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default camshaft seizing

well i need camshaft, spark plug wire, the cover that covers the sprocket for the chain on the engine and the oil pump. how much would you want for all that and barrie is pretty far from st.marys. could it be shipped?

Quick Reply: camshaft seizing