ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Another silly 200s to X question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another silly 200s to X question

My name is Doug........just bought an 84 200s for my stepson as he`s way too cornfed overgrown for the 110 he learned on

while wrenching on it and trying to figure out why the plug wasn`t firing, I tore a patch of skin off my palm trying to pullstart it..........it has a decomp lever on the head which works but no cable hooked up to it.....found it AFTER I tore up my hand (wicked kickback)

question is.........He wants a rear swingarm chassis and I was gonna do a swap into an X chassis.........I have a few questions though

1) Is there a way to convert to Elect. start with any other Honda ATC parts from other models?

2) what about a kickstart conversion........can the X kicker unit be put onto the S case?........the S is an Auto trans

3) where can I find a decomp lever assembly for the handlebars to help start this beast?

4) as for the motors, what all was different between the X and the S as far as the engine goes?.......can the S be converted to a manual clutch with used X pieces?

my boy is 11, but he weighs about 115 (BIG boy) so a kickstart might be possible for him to manipulate........elect. would be great but I`d like to keep the whole package free of extra electrics.......so I`d prefer the kicker.......less to hassle with

power mods aren`t necessary as this 200s has GREAT comp. still and it`s all the power a boy his age needs anyway.........

5) it likes to push steer (of course, it`s an ATC).........still has stock huge floater on the front.........what type of tire would best suit better steering ?........ground around here is semi-hardpack and alot of clay

thanks for your help

Now.....if he can only keep ME offa this thing.........hahahaha

Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

My advice would be sell the 200s and just get a 200x. Why in the world would you wanna put all the work and time into makeing a 200s into a 200x??? I THINK there is a decompression lever already with the 200s on the pull starter.

1) get a 200m for the eletric start. the motor will not fit in the x frame the starter gets in the way.

2) NO

3) Like i said i think that the decompression cable is on the pull starter assembly

4) The top ends a pretty close to the same. The bottom ends are TOTALLY different. Gear ratios and auto clutch in the s.

5) Cant help ya on the front tire sorry.

SO ALL IN ALL BEST BET WOULD BE JUST GET A 200x save yourself a LOT of headace and hassle and probably MASS MONEY!!!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well.............you helped me make up my mind on a few things

1) He`ll have to do with the pull start

2) I`ll deal with the front tire with this tire-grooving iron I got

3) probably still try and find an X chassis to slip the motor in..........he`ll just have a fully suspended, pull-start auto trike........at least it`ll have disc brakes

my budget for this was about 600$.........we spent 100$ on the 200s..........$500 left...........and anyone would be hard pressed to find an X for $600 that didn`t need a total work over

the work doesn`t bother me...........I build choppers for a hobby and I work as a machinist for an aftermarket custom street bike parts manufacturer............I`ve built street bike frames from scratch and put motors in stuff that shouldn`t have ever gone together in the first place and made them work.........so it`s kinda second nature to me.........I had a 200x when I was alot younger and I was impressed with it...........he learned ATVing on a Honda 110 ATC and saw this one for sale and asked for it........after a few laps thru the woods and yard,he decided "this thing needs rear suspension BAD"................so I had a fleeting idea with the money I had left..........if I had 1500$ or more, I would DEFINITELY buy an X.......such is not the case though

I might just find a swingarm assembly and throw the S frame on my frame jig for choppers and see if I can`t graft it together on the cheap

Thanks for all the info

Old 05-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

sorry but 200m will fit in 200x just build new motor mount braket plates for top and front

Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

I too want to put a 200s engine in the X chassis.

I am putting a new clutch in the 200x I bought a little over a year ago right now. I have had 2 200s' for over 5 year and haven't done anything to them other than rebuild the pull starts (and fab fenders out of whatever's available at the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]).

I want the 200x swing arm chassis with the roll it over, smash it in the tree, never change the oil, indestructibility and ease of the 200s.

I might combine one of the 200s' with the 200x. I hope it works.

PS. Don't stop looking for the 200x. I bought one for $100 that (just stopped running and had a broken chain that smashed the flywheel cover). One rebuilt carb (and a little welding) and it runs great (as long as you don't let your buddies little brother ride it in the woods and fry the clutch. Once your family, friends, locals find out you are looking for Honda 3 wheelers, you'll be surprised at how many are "sittin behind the pole barn" and can be had cheap.

What is the best place to buy the "lock nut" wrench (20mmX24mm in the manual) required to remove the clutch assembly? I haven't called the dealer yet, but I can imagine like the rest of the "special tools" it will be half the cost I paid for the whole machine.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

There is a 200x with a 200s engine for auction right now on Ebay.

Guy said all he had to do was make the engine mounts like is mentioned in an earlier post.

Way easier than trying to weld a swing arm on a 200s.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

A company called Goki makes electric starter kits for the 200s they are kind pricey might be worth a look.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wiswolvy
A company called Goki makes electric starter kits for the 200s they are kind pricey might be worth a look.
If I am not mistaken they have quit makeing them. I do not know for what model or year of atc but it has be mentioned on here several times.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 AM
Trailblazer

I have made the conversion. It works great. You should have no problem finding a 200X roller for what You want to spend. If You want, I have a swingarm and axle I'll let You have for $100 plus shipping. As to the pull starter, if your boy is a little small, He should be able to get a technique down for starting. Just slowly pull it past the compression, re-load and yank ! I have a very high compression 185 that is like pulling on a siezed engine if you don't set it just right. It broke my finger (tip bone) the day I bought it! That HURT!!!!

As to the steering, I also have a pair of wheel spacers! LOL LOL