ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

what do I have

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do I have

Hey all, How can I tell what I have by the Vin #.I just picked up a wheeler for my daughter and I know nothing about the year,size,etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 AM
The Facility
Default what do I have

Post the full VIN number here and I'll decipher it for you. As long as it's a Japanese brand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default what do I have

The vin# is JH3TB0100CC202424 THANX!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default what do I have

sound like old 80's Honda ATC 110-185? Whatever BE carefull. I had front hub brake arm break locking up front brakes and throwing me over bars with machine on top of me! Just scraped up,but glad no longer produced! Good luck WHATEVER it is!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 AM
The Facility
Default what do I have

old polaris tech,
I've been manager of a multibrand dealer for 13 years and worked in other spectrums of the market since 1986 and I have NEVER heard of the failure you describe. I would say that your accident was due to either faulty machine upkeep or most certainly an odd fluke. At any rate,... glad you got by with only scrapes.

ridinalaska,
Your VIN reads,... 1982 Honda ATC 185 S

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default what do I have

Yes it was a fluke accident! the brake stay arm broke,spun the the brake hub,locking brake arm and over I WENT! Just bruises and bruised ego! Got up first to see if anyone watching,then sat down!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default what do I have

In that case I would chalk that up to maintnance
Or lack of
Or the wheel was not installed properly
In any case not the three wheelers fault
But sorry you got scraped up
The bikes are as safe as the person riding them
Ray

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Default what do I have

Beg to differ on 3 wheeler safety! Thats the Main reason they were discontinued by ALL makers in 1986 because of pressure from government,hospitals,doctors,etc! Very dangerous going from soft dirt and hitting hard pack,could and would jerk bars out of your hands! UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED just like the old chevy Corvair,Suzuki Samuri! Still Have couple customers that have them,but are not fading away fast enough for me. JMOP (just my old opinion) Also lack of maintenance on my particular atc 110 was not the Question! BRAKE STAY arm broke right behind bolt on hub( this was the only support the older drum brake models had for holding drum secure ,not like the slots on forks today that hold calipers and some drums in place! They have it RIGHT now with the new SPYDER and also PIAGGO (Vespa) which we are now brought in to the dealership(TWO wheels in front,ONE in rear. I"m SURE NEGATIVE comments coming but GOOGLE up 3 wheeler Deaths and Injuries! Stats were far past dirt bikes ,street bikes, and quads.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Range Rover
Default what do I have

woop de doo. i think 3 wheelers are a ton more fun than 4 wheelers, and i ride both everyday. i will ride 3 wheelers until i can't find one to do so on. and the deaths and injuries are from bad maintenence, people not knowing how to ride right, or are going to fast for the terrain.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 AM
The Facility
Default what do I have

There are more groups today trying to regulate or ban this sport now than then there ever were in the mid 80s. The only difference now is that so many people have them, that many of those owners are the ones in committees hearing these extremist groups. We have several offroad heroes in congress these days despite the numerous land closures across the nation. As long as we cna keep those and gain new ones, our sport will remain safe. For now anyway.

I dont agree it is fair at all to bill threewheelers unsafe. Safer than quads? I would have to say that they are.
But label them unsafe would be like labeling guns unsafe.
The owner is responsible for learning to use it properly. If you shoot yourself in the foot, do you ban guns? I would hope not.

Riders who rode them the entire era prove that they werent unsafe. They just took a different and more involved process to ride safely than a 4 wheeler. That alone is the only unarguable fact concerning the three wheeler.
They dont drive themselves and the terrain you transverse is of your choice and based on your ability.