ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

What is a hare scramble??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a hare scramble??

I have always wondered what the heck a Hare Scramble is. Is it a race where you chase a hare?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] jk. I doubt it is that but on a serious note what is it?

Old 07-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I've never been to one but heard they are just very tight cross country races that go over all types of terrain, trails, fields, mud, and MX tracks. Hope that helps a little.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

" Mr. AgressiveRider " HareSrcamble ? It's a race in bush trail combination sometimes mx track farm fields shallow river crossings, and muddy after a rain fall of course. normaly its a shot gun start with dead engine, track lenght varys from 6 to 10 miles long for one lap or " 8km to 15km " , Race can last between 1 to 2 hours depending on diffrent track and conditions, You do as many laps as you can in that time frame. It's a fun race for all levels, you basicly go at your own pace , some of the trails are narrow but as long as your quad is under 48" inches you should be find. For Passing one another, if you catch up to some one ,just yell or rev your RPM to let him or her know that your behind them and when they find a safe place they will pull over to let you by. Well I hope this help you.

-------------------------[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yes I still race an antique

85' Lt250r "B Class in D-23 "

Gaetan Galarneau
e-mail ggalarneau@shaw.ca

Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

A hare scramble is almost identical to a GNCC race that you may see on tv. The only difference is that alot of times, a Hare Scramble can be tighter in the woods, and you don't get to walk the course ahead of time, whereas in GNCC, you can at least walk the course in advance to know what's coming. In Harescramble...the first lap can be very very interesting...you find out who has the *****, and who has the ***** but not the skills....Lots of tree kissing and carnage in the first lap!

Old 07-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Pudjumpr... Are you going to Millville This week end? I will be going but my two Lt250 engines are still in intensive care at the dealers, so I got no choice but to go to plan 3 which is to prep up my 88' Lt500, if I could hang on for 2 hours of racing. well if ya go this week end I'll see yah there.......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Gaetan #19 B-class HareScrambles D-23

Old 07-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I could go...that and the Waukon race, cause they are both very close for me!! I have to work though. Damn corn won't polinate itself at the USDA labs...maybe I shouldn't have taken that promotion...lol. Next year I'm thinking about running portions of the East coast WORCS series, or maybe GNCC...something a little bigger than D23. But I may put that off another year also...maybe enter A class for a while. I think I finally got my quad tuned in for XC racing. Gonna have me some better front tires that won't push, and have some exhuast mods on the pred now. I'm not gonna let you go by so easily next time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've also been practicing at the MX tracks every weekend after work...I've gotten my ***** back. When we went to arkansaw, I hadn't acutally jumped anything bigger than 10ft. for 2 months, and air scared me for some reason...but I'm back to clearing my 50ft. tables and 40ft. doubles...I'm not gonna let that little 300EX walk away with 1st this time by golly!!!!

NewBeatle, if you read this, I saw on iowaohv.com that they are having a club HareScramble event in Fort Dodge in November..not a district event, but I think it's a club organized one for 90min. to be fun. I think I will actually have a free schedule to race that one...cause my D23 season will be over and I can afford the down time if I need to!! You said you were going to race Hixton...right?? Be prepared to meet a super fast Rincon and a Grizzly that hauls the mail too!!

Old 07-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

PDLJUMPR... PRAIRIEWRENCH & OLDMANWHEELER have put together some very tough riders in Fort Dodge, in prep for the 12 hr team race ... they were riding 650 Prairies, but have switched to the new 700 Prairies now... not trying to brag them up at all, but I'd say that from what I've seen at other races, these guy's are some of the toughest competition to come around the track ( they wooped me pretty bad last time )...I've kind of adopted the same mind set I had with my Jeep ( back in the old days ), I want to be competitive in as many types of venues as possible...I don't have to take 1st - 3rd ( but it's nice to ), but want to do well in several different kinds of ATV events ... I just took 1st place in a very tough mud bog race ( most people got stuck, I was the only one to make it through the pit, in the open class, until they reworked it, so a few others could make it through )...anyway, my work area, & yard look like a "transformers" work shop, as I change major Items to switch from one type of race to the other...I don't think that the 28" Mudzilla's would work well for jumping the 40' table tops ...LOL... I hadn't heard about the Harescramble at Fort Dodge in November ??? there is one the week before the Hixton race next month, & the 12 hr race after the Mazeppa race in October...I'll be at Hixton if the quad & I aren't broken & unrepairable in time ...LOL... I've been following the utility class results for D23, & am looking forward to bumping fenders with these riders, have you raced the Hixton course ?? what's it like ???...the course that we raced last time at Fort Dodge ( not the full 12 hr course ) was about 1/3 truck race course, 1/3 MX course, 1/3 woods course... my quad doesn't have normal top speed, because of some of the handling mods I've made, so the wide open truck course hurt me with my limited top speed, the MX course wasn't any fun after rolling it down the hill, so I thought I did well on 1/3 of the course though...LOL... the next race, I heard they're going to run the full course ( very tough / technical woods section ) I'm looking forward to that, as I think it'll help my overall placement... talk to ya later...WAM

Old 07-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Newbeatle,
I haven't been to Hixton before, but here is the website for the mx portion. CMJ Raceway 1.5 miles worth of mx, and it's highly likely they run us through the entire track. Looks like it sits in a valley with lots of woods around it...I don't know about open fields, but it would be nice. But since all the crops are up now...unless it's freshly cut hay and the farmer is paid off well, I doubt there will be a field section. It should be pretty challenging!! Hope to see you and your "mini-jeep" there!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]