ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

mx training

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mx training

What kind of things can i do to get my body ready for a mx track. I know that practicing on a track is the best solution but what kind of exercises? Anyone have any tips?

Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default mx training

I've been a bodybuilder for approximately 20 years. I weigh generally between 225-230 lbs and thought that mx racing a quad would be simple. After all I can bench over 400lbs and train with heavy weights all the time. I figured I would add some cardio to my workout a couple of times a week and be good to go. I couldn't have been more wrong. My first race I was dead tired by the third lap and by the fifth and final lap I could barely push the thumb throttle and hold onto the bars. I could't believe this after all I could wrist curl 160 lbs for six reps easy so how could I not be able to hold onto the bars. Talk about feeling like a p u s s y.

So what I found out is that you need to do high rep stuff, 12-15 reps per exercise with med weight. High rep squats will help build strong legs and are a good over all conditiong exercise. Also do some forearm stuff wrist curls are good just make sure they are high reps, 30 reps per set here should be good. Remeber keep the weight moderate. Don't forget to do cardio, stairs bike or treadmill 20-40 minutes here but start off easy and work your way up.

Then make sure you ride as much as possible push yourself at practice to turn faster laps each time and if your races are five laps practice 7-10 laps. I hope this info helps you out. Let me know if it does cause I'm too set in my ways to change my workout habits. I will still be going as heavy as possible for 4-6 reps but I'll do some more cardio, then at the races I'll be hurting by the third lap. Oh Well such is life. Take Care and Ride Safe.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default mx training

Thanks for the info and tips. The only problem i have is i dont like to lift weights. I used to 3 times a week but then last semester i threw my back out and couldnt move for a couple days. I did this while doing curls. Since then i have thrown my back out a couple other times doing other things. So i have decided not to lift weights anymore. (i was probably doing it wrong anyways)

I did my first mx race today and it is definately one of the most rigorous things i have ever done. I can ride all day long at the dunes at top speeds so i figured i would be fine. I ride trails hard, and fast. But i was tired after my practice laps on the mx track like i have never been tired before. I definately need to just practice riding on a track and maybe some other excercises.

Anyone have any arobic tips?

Old 03-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mx training

Jogging, or an exercise bike will help with winding, and of course just riding in itself is a great workout. One thing you may want to consider though. I noticed you stated that you had hurt your back, and MX can be very rough on your back, be careful! When it comes to weight training, I find more reps with less weight will help you to endure longer. MX can and will kick your butt, especially in the heat of the summer time.....always be sure to be properly hydrated.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default mx training

It's always best to ride with someone who can push you. It doesn't matter if you're chasing them or they you. If you ride by yourself, you don't realize you are slowing down as much as if somebody is out there with you. You can tell if your falling farther behind and push yourself to catch up.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default mx training

I found that my back hurts under my left shoulder blade from preloading on my 300ex and banshee-i havent had the problem with the 450r yet- but i, @ 16 years old, stretch before riding on the mx track and it seems to help. I hope i have helped you a little bit, gl

Old 03-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default mx training

Ridley,
A lot of great information in your post. Thanks a lot. I will definately use your advice. I will let you know how the next race goes.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default mx training

endurance---bottom line. when you are racing, your addrenaline is runnin and its a rush. you dont realize how hard you're pressing the throttle and all the movements you make to push your quad around corners. your body stays tense and you dont notice until about the 3rd lap. you could be arnold swratsanegger (however u spell it) and probably still have a lot of fatique.

run A LOT. runnin a mile or so every other day will increase your endurance.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default mx training

I run 3 miles a day and ride the local mx track 5 days a week for 4 hours a day and I am beat by the end of the day. Do alot of cardio...