ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Polaris MXer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2000, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a polaris sport 400 and was wondering how much work I would need to get it up to racing standards. I have seen some in the mags and they seem to have an aftermarket frame and suspension. Can I race with the stock frame and suspension? If not where do I get the frame and suspension from. Who does the best motor work for my polaris? Please help.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Do you just want it up to racing standards for the heck of it or are you going to race? If you are going to race, you should just go race once and see how it goes. If you are a good rider, you might not need to mod it for the beginner class. When you get used to racing, you will find out what you need and don't need. When I tried racing a few times at the beginning of summer, there was a polaris 250 trail boss, (had some mods: motor,pipe, clutch, suspension.) in the mix in my second race. This particular track runs a heat race, then a trophy race later in the evening. In the heat race, the polaris passed me (I'm riding a 400EX) in a very long whoop section. But I passed him in mid air on a large double that he couldn't or wouldn't try, and stayed ahead to take 5th place. I didn't get there soon enough to make practice, so the heat race was basically a practice run for me. I got a second place trophy in the trophy race.
What I am trying to say is, try racing, then go for the mods. You will find out what you need as you go. I found I needed a wider axle, to keep me from high siding the corners.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Look in dirtwheels, I saw a very fast polaris at a previous rece, it was piped and clutched. I think Aaen(spelling?) makes aftermarket polaris parts.
ERIC

Old 07-25-2000, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

I am planning on racing motocross and was wanting to know what mods would be best for my Polaris Sport 400 to make it race worthy against banshees and 250R's. I was also concerned if the stock suspension would be able to handle the rigors of motocross or would the suspension need to be upgraded.

Old 07-25-2000, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Do you know what issue of dirtwheels had the article on the Polaris MXer?

Old 07-25-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

There was a yellow Polaris sport 400 in the intermediate class at Brainerd. I don't know if he had any mods at all, or what place he ended. The intermediate had 250Rs, Banshees, one or two 400EX's. The 250R's pretty much ruled, and the Banshees came in second. There were a couple straight stretches where the Banshees would gain a little, but the corners and jumps pretty much did them in. The polaris didn't do too well though. He wasn't doubling most of the jumps. Possibly because of the suspension, or just no confidence.
I think you would do well going with suspension mods though. Handling seems to be more important in MX than power. I wouldn't want to try racing my 400EX with stock shocks, I don't think it or me would last very long.

Old 07-27-2000, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

The first step to making a Polaris race ready is to throw the Polaris in the garbage can and get your self a real mans bike such as a Banschee, 250r, Banshee, Raptor!

Polaris Sucks

Old 07-27-2000, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

The polaris trailboss 250 I raced against beat a DS650, 300EX and a couple blasters.
I know the Polaris 400 in the mid class didn't come in last against 250Rs Banshees 400EX's. I don't know exactly who he beat or what place cuz I didn't video the race or watch it with the who won frame of mind. I was just watching how they were taking the jumps, cornering etc.

I am sure it is harder to win with a Polaris, but you won't finish last if you can ride decent. Run what ya brung.

Motordude, thanks for yer vaylyooble insight... Pretty easy to spout through the keyboard eh? Maybe you should get "A" quad. (any quad will do, just get one, race it and see how you do) No, I don't mean ride your papas.

Old 07-27-2000, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Hey motordude
First off if Polaris sucked then why is everyone trying to copy the PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission) system? When I ride I can hang with my firends on their 250Rs, 400EX, and 300EX's I just want to step it up and start racing on the MX tracks. I know the down side is the weight of the machines but the upside is that you don't have to shift and I know that I can adjust the clutch engagement. I have never seen a polaris race but I have heard that they can handle the tracks with some upgrades. I was trying to find out from other Polaris owners what they have done to make their machines race worthy.
SO, If you have something productive to say then speak up but if all you have to give is a lame comment like "Polaris Suck" then shut up.
TTaylor
Polaris sport 400
Honda 350RX

Old 07-27-2000, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

hey ttaylor a tranny like the polaris was on the honda odessy's belt tranny.... i think polaris copied honda a little..... just a guess tho but i do know that the oddessy's had the belt tranny

Quick Reply: Polaris MXer