ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Iceraceing tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1999, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own an 85 atc 250r I'm running 20/11/9 schredders on the rear and a stock tire up front.Here in Minnesota summer rideing is comeing to an end. I want to go tear up the ice. Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with one certion brand stud. If so aprox.how many studs per tire?I will be running oval tracks.Does it help to stagger the stud numbers on the rear (to help push around the corners?This is a new game for me any tips will help. THANKS

------------------

Old 11-18-1999, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

I am not very familiar with the studded class, but from what I've seen the last couple years at the races, most run a hard compound tire with lots of contact patch (for more screws) everyone sharpens their studs with a ball-type carbide dremel that fits the inside of the hex-head. every screw is razor sharp, so be careful out there! It appears that chassis set-up is more important than types of screws, but then again, I don't run a studded quad. They do have regulations as far as size.
If you are looking for some very helpful advice on setting up your ride, call Kenny Wallgren in Duluth MN 218-728-6057. He is the treasurer of the Northland Motorcycle Riders Assoc. (NMRA) and I am sure he would give you VERY helpful advice. I
Where are you racing an oval track series? We are having a 4 race series in Duluth and Virginia, (Jan. 16 in Virginia, Feb. 13 & 27 in Duluth, and March 5 in Virginia) We run a TT track, and have studded and unstudded quads/three wheelers, and bikes.
For more info, e-mail me at pjniska@the-bridge.net, or call me at 218-666-3188. It would be great to have you at our races!

Pete Niska
99 Scrambler 400

Old 11-19-1999, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

You better find out if your local series allows you to sharpen them. You can't sharpen Kold cutters just Gold screws. If not use Kold Kutter screws with cheng shin tires they have a real hard compound and hold the screws quite well. Most only use 1 screw per nobby. The way the nobbies are placed on those tires they give it a staggered stance.

Front tires are usually riders choice. A lot of people up here in Michigan us bandits, some use hole shots and others use this weird large groove tractor tire. Like I said it your choice.

Tuning your tires just takes track time. If you have not enough foward bit turn the screw so the screwdriver slot is running the same as the width of your tire. If your not getting enough side bite in the corners just turn the outside few rows to a 45 degree angle.

good luck

Waymod

Old 11-19-1999, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

what about a polaris class in DULUTH AND VIRGINIA?

THANKS

Old 11-20-1999, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

The NMRA classes for studded quads are 250 2-stroke, 4-stroke, and an open class. The unstudded quads are 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive, from what I remember.
For Polaris, the unstudded classes are your best bet. The 4x4 class is pretty much dominated by Polaris, and the 2 wheel drive is a toss-up between Honda & Yamaha, although I think a 400 Sport would be good competition.
One person ran a Scrambler 400 last year in the studded open class, but the Banshees and 250r's cleaned house. (weight difference, tire selection & top-end had the Polaris at a big disadvantage)

Pete Niska

Old 11-20-1999, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Does anyone have any info on the CWIRA series in central WI? What 4x4 unstudded machine has been winning, and what tires do they run? When does the series start, is it Jan. 1&2? any info would be helpful...

Pete

Old 11-21-1999, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks iceracer,WAYMOD for the tips.A friend of mine lives on lakezumbro he owns a banshee.We are far from being pro racers.But it's something we want to try.We are not running in a actual series.Thanks again for the info now we have an idea where to start.We might tour up to watch the real guys do it,That sounds like a blast.

------------------

Old 11-24-1999, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Taz,
If you guys come to Superior to watch, you guys should bring the machines, too. Run the unstudded class & you'll see how much fun it is. Just remember, throttle control... Then you can decide if you should go out & buy studded tires.
If you have a set of studded tires you can borrow, put them on & go race. Everyone has to start somewhere...
The first time I went to the races, I was only gonna go & watch, but someone told me to bring my wheeler, just in case I decided to run it. IF I wouldn't have brought the wheeler, I would've regretted it!

Old 12-03-1999, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Can you actually go out and buy studded tires? I live in Thunder Bay, Ont. And I was thinking of coming down to Duluth to try some ice racing.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

------------------

Old 12-03-1999, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

SaMsOn- I think you can buy tires ready to go, I have seen them in Dirtwheels magazine ads. The other option is to stud up one of your sets of tires. (I would do that, it's much cheaper...just order the studs.) If you decide to get serious about it, then buy better ice tires. The NMRA guys are pretty lenient on the new guys, with safety being their big concern. you need nerf bars, 3 numbers, and a tether kill switch for starters. I can get you the rules if you want, or call Kenny Wallgren (see above post). He knows the specifics with those classes. It would be great to have you come down & race with us. I don't think you will regret it...

Pete

Quick Reply: Iceraceing tips