ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Bottoming Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just got TCS shocks and tonight was the first test at the MX track. There are a couple big single jumps that you can just really get high off of if you hit them at full tilt, which I did to test the shocks, and I found they didnt bottom at all, but my frame did!
How do I fix this? Adjust the compression stiffer so they dont compress as easily? Is there a way to adjust ride height on them?
Also, I think after that I need a full skid plate, do the Maier ones help at all, cause I figure they are probably light since they are plastic. Or should I get something like a Baja or PRM or something tuff like that?

Old 10-20-2000, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Maeir ones bust up real easy but the PRM and Baja ones are very thick and heavy, they are made for woods and desert. None of the big companies make a lightweight MX skid plate. One of my sponsors, SRE Industries makes them though. They are lightweight yet aluminum so they are strong he also sells them fairly cheaply. E-mail Scott at sedkin@csonline.net make sure to tell him Garrett sent you.
I have the same problem with my TCS suspended Blaster. The ride height can be changed by two ways. First the fine adjustment. At the top of the springs there is a clip that goes the whole way around the shock. you have to push the top spring down a bit to see this clip. Moving the clip down will increase ride height and vice versa. There must still be some tension on the springs though. Then there is the rough adjustment. If you look behind the small spring you will see some spacers. removing spacers will lower ride height and vice versa. To remove the springs hold the shock upside down, press down on the springs only, not the shock itself or the large spring retainer, Once compressed enough remove the retainer and now you can slide the springs and spacers off. Working on these shocks is very simple.

Old 10-20-2000, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

had same problemn on my banshee i called tcs and they said they set them to soft and to send them back and they would redo them for free they work fine now

Old 10-21-2000, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

well if you where botoming out on sigles that also might be your problem. try and take a double or tabletop and see how the do then. if not send back to tcs and get them redone

Old 10-21-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

On Doubles and Tabletops, they do AWESOME, the ones that bottom out, not my shocks, the frame, are the big air singles that you land on flat ground, not anything with a downslope.

I upped the compression on them and hopefuly that will help them out. We will see. If not, I will send them back.

Old 10-23-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

try ride height adjustment...that way you get more shock travel before your frame hits.... because if you frame is hittin you are not gettin full use of all your travel......I would try that before I sent them back....

Old 10-23-2000, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

EQUIPMENT LIMITS.

Old 10-28-2000, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

MY TCS never bottom out on the frame. You sure they didint set your riding weight wrong on them.
ALso why would you want to jump big singel where you land flat. Even the best shocks would land ruff doing that.

Old 10-28-2000, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I would want to jump big singles cause they have 2 of them at our motocross track.

And I upped the compression on the shocks and they have worked fine since then. The compression was 3 clicks from the bottom, I am guessing thats probbaly what caused it.

Old 10-28-2000, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey rhino99. Are you landing on the gas off of those big single jumps. This is the best way to avoid bottoming out when you land, plus it help keep ypur momentum up for the next jump or jumps. This is one of those things that took me a while to figure out even though guys told me about it all the time. Try it. Just as you are about to touch down from the jump, start gassing it like you would to head up the next jump. You will land a lot smoother, and be on your way to the next jump.