ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ATV/MX Jump Building Help (Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV/MX Jump Building Help (Advice)

Hey ya'll. I recently decided to build a few jumps (that may eventually turn into a track) on my land. I was planning on making a fairly large tabletop and double (about waist height).

Are there any "rules" or tips to making these jumps, such as a proper angle of decent? Distance of doubles apart based on height of takeoff? I'm new to this area and was wondering if any of you could help me out, save me some trial and error time. Any advice from you or another site I could go to to get some advice would be appreciated.

I just wanted to have something in the yard to practice on/have fun with to go along with my trail-riding. I have a basically stock '01 warrior with race size tires, so I'm not planning on going huge or nothing. I've spent some time on a few smaller tracks before, so I do know how to jump.

I saw below on this forum, there's a guy asking about building a whole track. Mine is a lot more basic, I'm only going to build 2-3 jumps, not planning on it being an actual "race track", only asking for adive on making a few single wide basic jumps. Thanks

Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

well thats kinda what i have built in 4-5 acres of our forest, i just took out my dads loader tractor and scraped a little bit of dirt of the ground and pushed it into a wide skiny pile and then i kept on dooing that until it was about 5 6 feet deep at its base and then i just shaped it with a shovel and i packed it witht he bucket, i never found any angle measures or something,. so i just made one that i liked thats what id do. i did two or three of theses and make the landings as far as you know you can jump and try it, if you clear it too much you can drag the landing ramp back a little

Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I built a 30 ft table top behind my house about a month and a half ago. Now it is a 45 foot double with a pretty decent size landing area in case I just happen to come up short sometime. I read some of the articles at DirtWurx and that helped me a lot. For an ATV your takeoff ramp slope should be around 3:1 with a slight bowl like curve. My take off ramp is about 3 1/2 feet feet tall and about 10 feet in length. Your landing ramp should have a much gentler slope. The height again is about 3 1/2 feet and about 18 feet long. This provides for a pretty smooth landing. If I hit it just right I never feel it hitting the ground. My advice would be to set up some table tops first until you learn how to make the takeoff ramps and then once you get them just right take out the centers and make some longer table tops or doubles.