ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

How to get started in racing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get started in racing.

Hello guys(and girls). I would like someone to tell me just how I can go about getting started on racing my 300EX. I've had the thing for years, and I feel I am comfortable with my riding abilty now to start competing, at least at the grassroots level. So I guess my question is, IS there even a class for the 300's and I am 26 years old. Do youthink I am too old to fet into the sport? I would really prefer to race a 400ex or 450 R, but I can't afford one and be able to race it. My 300 is paid for and has the best of everything. By the way, i live 10 minutes from the world famous Pinke Lake ATV course in Ohio, so I have access to a track. Any help would be great.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

BTW, I am more interested in MX than TT.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey ryanwolfe, your never to old to start racing, not to mention a lot of tracks have classes based on ages. And yes, your 300ex has a class for it. There is usually a 350 4-stroke and below class, Blasters are aloud in it to BTW.

First thing to do is find tracks around you, usually your local dealer will know what is going on where. Try and go to a practice day if you can to get familiar to the track. When you go to actually race the most important thing to do is relax. Your nerves are going to be going crazy, but just try and stay smooth and don't ride over your limits. Go out there and just have fun, you worry about being competitive once you get a feel for things.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I see i spelled Pine Lake wrong. lol. I've been there a couple times. As a matter of fact, it's owned by the owner of the Local Honda Dealer. I have gone and practiced there a few times on the weekend, but it is mostly a TT track, with very little if any jumps. TT is ok, but it's not as much fun as MX

Old 12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

There is a woodsman class for beginners. Here is info on racing link. I have been to pine lake a few times. Back in the woods there are some crazy jumps. A few weeks ago I broke my leg there attempting to triple a jump there.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

I Started racing at 38. One first in the Beginners Class on a Stock 400EX. I couldn't wait to turn 40 so all the youngsters wouldn't kill me.

I still race beginners and will be racing the '06 season ITP MX. I'm there for fun not to injury myself.

Have good insurance, and have fun.

Smitty

Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

So ya got on the track w/o the old man shooting at ya eh!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LMAO
No your not too old, yes you are under machined, but who cares if fun is the name of the game.
Your 300 needs the same stuff as any, nerfs and a tether minimum. Shocks/a-arms/axel is next.
18" tires with beadlock wheels are a must. A steering stabilizer is loved by all. WAIT~~I just seen your statement of "it has the best of everything". So you must have most of all that stuff.
The CRA is the local circiut with Pymatuning Holeshot the closest CRA track to you. Dirt world is close (down rt.7)..
They have the "woodsman" class or "extra quad" class.
Get ahold of me sometime. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks for the replys. I should have been more specific. My 300 does have nerf bars, works shocks, 400EX+2 a-arms and a Dura-Blue +2 axle with a RAD bearing carrier. I've thought about putting a 350X motor in it. Beadlock wheels are the only thing I don't have yet, but that isnt a problem. Just out of curiousity, what sprocket sizes would be best with 18 inch tires, when you're planning to run MX?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

LOL your not to old to start raceing. Im 27 and race flat track and love it. It does not matter what you ride just aslong as you are haveing fun. I race a 366 warrior but i have ALOT of money in it. And it will out run the 450s on the flat track BUT its not about HP on the flat track its about set up. And i was like you its was payed for so i just started putin money in it and it competes with all the others on the flat track. And becouse of all the hard work and help from friends im running 2nd in points about 8 out of first in novice class. So it dont matter what you run just as long as you have fun doing it. Good Luck

Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

We ran 1 tooth up in the front and stock rear.

Quick Reply: How to get started in racing.