ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Motocross and my 400EX.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I have ditched my Warrior and have been having a blast with my 2001 400EX. I have been reeeaaaaaaaly getting interested in racing, and have been reading everything and anything I can get my hands or mouse on! I have made many jaunts out to a nice big track up in North Phoenix that allows quads to run, and have been going crazy out there. I love the track! (Unfortunately, it makes me hurt all over the next day! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And I am getting "man-hands" due to the blisters upon blisters - need new grips!)

My quandry is this. I have a stock bike. Bone-stock. And I have never raced before. What class would I be in? What is my competition running, typically? I know every place is different, but for those of you who race, what types of quads run the amateur races? Are there any stock bikes that place nicely? All I ever see out at the track are two-wheelers, and a Banshee or two - haven't made it to a race yet. I'm not even sure there are any races out here in the summer! And, what are the most common mods made to 400's? I would assume A-arms and pipe? I'm light enough that my suspension hasn't bottomed out too much, except on the really big jumps (yeah, I get some good air!)

Also, I have been riding on one track, and plan on visiting them all this summer (not many allow quads to practice, though) to get an idea of what to expect, and I do plan on going to see some races - and I ride at least every week......what else should I be doing to get prepared? I work out, endurance and upper body especially, I have all the equipment - am I missing anything? Besides actually racing?

And how old is too old? I'm.....uh.....(whisper)29.

And one more question, and then I'm done - I promise! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] For those of you who do race, what type of work outs do you do?

OK! Thanks so much! Carry on!

Corry

Old 06-02-2001, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

I dont know about where you are but around Indiana , Ohio , Ill. you have to have a tether cord , nurf bars , and of course all riding gear. As for the quad start with the a-arms and axel to widen up your quad then go for good shocks set up for your weight ( with gear ) the pipe and jets and if you want more big bore and cam . Around here in the AMA you will start in the B class maybe C if there are enough riders . In those classes you will be against people about the same as you but sometimes you will find some that cant win in there class move down which aint right but does happen . Dont plan on winning right away but if you do great . Just have fun and be safe ! Oh yea a good set of MX Holeshots 18x11x8 rears and 19x6x10 fronts will help with grip .Iv been racing now for 4 years and have my 2 sons ages 17 and 21 racing also . Yea thats right im 40 and still racing hard , HAVE FUN !!!

Old 06-02-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, that helps a lot. It's hard to tell where my money needs to go....there are so many different mods I see, I just wasn't sure which ones would help me the most. I guess I can't expect miracles on a stock machine, can I? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm thinking about a DMC double barrel pipe setup - anyone have one of those? White Bros is always nice, but I want something different!

Do you get banged into alot on the track? Also, do you want to get as much air as possible, or do you want to keep your tires on the ground? I love to jump, so if that's not a good idea, I will have to restrain myself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again, I appreciate any and all help!

Corry

Old 06-02-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

You definetly want a tether switch and nerf bars. There is some banging, but I try to avoid it. Obviously when you got several quads trying to fit into the same space there will be some banging around. Some bumping at slower speeds is ok, but at high speeds it can become a real problem.

When I started adding to my bike I put handlebars and Oury MX grips on first. The Oury grips are softer and will help you not blister up. Make sure you are wearing good MX gloves...I like my FOx Pawtectors.

Defitely MX tires it will probably help you more than any other mod. If you can try a big bore kit and a cam rather than a pipe. The 400EX is pipe is ok, and there is alot more power dollar for dollar to be had inside the motor.

You also need number plates. Or else they wont score you.

If you have the time try some strength training. I do about 4 nights a week during the winter. When you make a mistake it is nice to have that extra strength. Ride alot, I ride several times a week on a practice area I built at my house. I also ride at a local track on Saturdays if I dont have a race to attend.

Jumping is fun and an important part of racing. There should be a goal to reach when jumping. Like on a double to get to the other side, or on a tabletop to make it to the downside so you can get on the gas. Jumping should not cause you to lose momentum(like casing or overjumping). If you arent suffering an jarring landings or sudden losses of momentum than your jumping should be making you go faster.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 06-02-2001, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, sandhopper, typically there is quite a bit of banging in the quad races around here. I race in a very competitive class though. (fully tricked aftermarket framed 250Rs and 400EXs). Learning to clear the bigger jumps will take time off your laps(plus make ya look good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]) I would also concentrate on your starts. You WILL need a tether cord. I would raccomend nerf bars, and of course a good set of MX boots to go along with your suit and helmet.

Old 06-04-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, again, for the responses! I have been thinking about getting a 440 kit - I have heard I can get one for three to four hundred dollars. And I have seen the difference they make! Is there enough room in the stock engine to bore the cylinder that much wider? ( my husband and I had this argument, I told him I had heard there was, he says there probably isn't) What's involved in a 440 kit? Hmmmmmmmm...

I've already ordered new grips. I just about killed my hands at the track on Friday! Those waffle grips are rough! For trail riding, they are fine, but for some reason the track tears up my hands! My FOX Flexair's can only protect me so much!

I will definately need to practice my starts. I tend to wheelie too much (I get too excited! ). What should I work on for my starts (besides keeping the front end down!)?

My jumps are good, from the feedback you gave. I really don't have any rough landings, and I am landing almost at the bottom of the downhill slopes on the really big jumps, and the tabletop landings I usually can't even feel. I do slow down at the whoop section. I usually do the whoops in high second, and keep my front end up. I will probably get smoked in a race there, though! Need more practice! Doubles.....rrrriiiiiiigggghhhhhtttttt. Just kidding. There is one at the track I go to, I think, but it looks more like a really short whoop section.

I definately need to work on my upper arm strength! Being female, that is where I am weakest, and I can feel it when I am out there on the track! I can only ride on weekends (I don't have anyplace around my house I can ride to, so I have to drive out to the desert or to a track somewhere, and they are all about an hour away!)so I have to do alot of my keeping in shape at the gym. Unless washing my quad counts. I do that alot!

Is a race usually 4 laps? Does it depend on the length of the track?

Sorry, I know, more questions. You are helping me out alot, though, and I definately appreciate it! My husband isn't too thrilled with the idea of me wanting to race, so I need to go elsewhere for advice! Thanks again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Corry

Old 06-04-2001, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

As Nike says "Just do it!!!!" I just raced my first harescramble yesterday after years of play/trailriding. What a blast! Although my arms ache so bad it hurts to type. I definetly need to work on MY upper body too. Don't worry about all the small stuff, just go out- have fun- do the best you can- and learn. Strangers were very helpful & assisting. Me & my stock 300ex with Raz'rs & a K&N filter placed 5th out of 12 in my class and 34th overall of 60some quads. Not bad, considering I figured I'd be closer to last. A lifelong dream fullfilled & now I can't wait to do it again (and I'd like to try MX too)!! Sorry for the rambling, but I had to tell someone. Go for it, we are not getting any younger, I never felt 35 - till this morning! Have fun.....Randy

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sandhopper,

If you plan on modifying your 400EX pretty soon, I would suggest adding extended a-arms, a wider axle, nerf bars, handlebars, and some good shocks first. With this wider, more stable stance, the 400EX should be able to handle better and be even more competetive than it already is. The stock 400EX already has a pretty good amount of power, and a wide, useable powerband. A good slip-on silencer and rejetting the carb would also be a good idea. The mods I listed is what I would suggest before going into the motor.

Like Racer425 said, don't expect to win right off the bat. You may or you may not. Just practice as much as you can, and only do jumps and other things that you are comfortable with. You will be able to work up as you get more comfortable with the track. Basically, just get out there, be careful, and have fun. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2001, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

What tracks have you been to? I'm not suprised you only see dirtbikes out there because there are only about 15 or 20 active quad racers in AZ, two of them being female. Just about all the tracks around here run quad practice but they usually want 5 or more, we go to different tracks in the state as a group so we always get a good showing of quads and are guarateed to practice. We always welcome new riders to come with. Check out the website and e-mail me for more info on where we will be running next. See you at the track!

www.dirtfiendracing.com

Old 06-06-2001, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have been going to Speedworld, even though it's a long haul from Gilbert! I am going to Judd's probably this Friday night, because I understand they are also quadfriendly and they have a decent track, AND (bonus here in the desert) they practice at night! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Yeah, I don't see many quads when I go, but you know, the two-wheelers have been very respectful. I have only been roosted twice - I try to pick a line and keep it, and I don't look back!

I will check out your website! Thanks! It's nice to be in touch with local riders! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Corry