ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ARM PUMP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

I know that everyone that races hates arm pump. I was just wandering what you guys stradagies were to gettin rid of it. and what kind of work out/exercises do to get ready for the races.thanx alot hope to hear from ya...

Cory

Old 06-25-2001, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Arm pump hasnt affected me for awhile, but it usually gets me if I havent ridden or raced hard for awhile. Basically, the best cures for it for me have been to ride alot and stay calm. Also, the more doubles I jump and the less mistakes I make the longer I can ride before I start to get tired and get arm pump. Also, I would have to say a steering dampner has helped me. The dampner helps you not have to feel every little edge you hit. Your bike setup can help you out alot. I have double rate TCS shocks on the front right now, and have ordered triple rate springs. Suspension is a big key to riding with less effort. Of course it is also a very expensive mod.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 06-25-2001, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Some people have had good luck with taking Tylenol, Motrin, etc shortly before their moto to thin out the blood and help reduce arm pump. Works for some, others not.

Old 06-26-2001, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Arm pump doesnt have to do with not being in shape it has to do with the way you breath when you race you are usaully excited and breath reall heavy if you concentrate on breathing lightly are pump wont be a factor when racing

Old 07-02-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I've been riding quads for about four years now and i do the majority of my riding in the dunes. For the first time I made a trip to one of the mx tracks here in Utah. The tracks here are all catered to the bikes here so there are no true quad tracks. I keep myself in pretty good shape jogging lifting weights etc. I went out onto the track feeling good and to my surprise i could only complete one to two laps. I was breathing fairly hard but what stopped me was arm pump. I have a lot of admiration for you mx'rs. In fact as i'm typing this response my forearms are still pumped from yesterday. I know it's probably from lack of riding time on a mx track but i don't have much choice here. The locals here don't allow quads on the same tracks as the bikes. The closest track is two hours away one way. I was thinking of buying a cr500 and practicing on the tracks locally just to get into riding shape. I hope this will help, I want to race my quad badly. At this time i couldn't even finish a race. I guess at age 35 I can't expect miracles but I feel i can do better. Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2001, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

ok here is my arm pump work out... Materials: Red brick, sock, a piece of string as long as you are tall and a broom stick cut to about20 inches wide. Put brick in sock,tie string from sock to broom handel. Then hold the sick above your head and twist the stick tho rool up the string and twist it to let it down don't let the stick go to let it down..... It works

Old 07-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Back in my hockey days, I used to use a similar workout to strengthen my forearms. Any weights tied to a pole will work. Just remember to keep your arms straight when you roll each wrist. Otherwise you will not be working out only your forearms.

A steering dampner helped out some for arm pump. This little thing stops the bars from jolting on bumps, which means it is less times that your muscles are used.

Since you are new to MX, I am sure you are a lot more tense, therefore holding on a little tighter. I found that after I got used to racing on the track, my arm pump and overall soreness was a lot less. In the begining I was sore for a few days. Typing was a joke. Shake so bad I would hit the each key a few times. But then I relaxed more on the track and while I did not change the quad nor was I in any better shape, but I was not sore.

Yes, excerise, especailly cradio, will help. You get arm pump by your muscles running out of oxygen and possibly fuel (carbs). But the big thing is oxygen. When you flex a muscle, it does not get a steady flow of blood, therefore it does not get oxygen. So the longer you are flexing, the longer your muscle must "hold its breath." Also, if you are not breathing correctly, you body overall will not get the oxygen it needs. You should also (which I do not) get the muscles warmed up before starting the race. This will get a good flow going to the muslces and get then used to working. Ever see the picture of Travis Pastrana riding the rowing machine before the main event?

Old 07-02-2001, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Here is a tip I have seen other Pro's use: Put icy hot or something like it on your forearms before you race. It loosens the muscles and also helps from having that pain the next day.

Old 07-03-2001, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Could someone explain to me what it is that arm pump is? Is it just a reference to your arms becomeing tired or something? I hear alot of people talking\complaining about it but am unsure as to what they are refering to...

Old 07-04-2001, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with some of most everyones reply, here is how i look at it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Air and circulation=very important!! One of those Breathe-Right strips are highly recommended, Ben-gay,icy hot help promote the circulation,use it. So how do you get even more? "PUSH-UPS"!! Do the wrist exercise the one dude does, it's a good idea! Now that your all warmed up "RUN"!! Remember "diet" enters into it, protien and carbs! I hole heartedly believe in "GIN-SENG"!! Get it at the GNC store, get the multi type (600 mg. or more) Potassium! get those at the GNC store too, these save your body from so much pain (the dude that wrote saying he had arm pump from the day before, try the potassium!) Hope this helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]