ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

nerf bars for harescrambles?

Old 07-21-2001, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to race a harescramble in Casey,IL this Sunday and called the track today to see what I needed to race. Everything was going good until the end of the phone call when the lady told me that I needed nerf bars on my quad to race. To me, there isn't much of a point to having nerf bars in the woods. Ya they may help you not hook your back tires onto a tree but that doesn't affect anyone else on the track but you. Why would the track owners be worried about nerf bars? They can help you on the start around other quads but you are only around other people for the first lap or so of the race. Needless to say I can't race this weekend because I don't have the money to buy nerf bars, I just wanted to know if there are a lot of tracks that require you to have them. If so I'm going to have to save some money so I can buy them. Any info is appreciated.

Old 07-21-2001, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

most all tracks require nerfs, mainly because of saftey. i wouldnt want my leg pinned between my quad and a tree or my ankle broken because my foot slipped forward off the footpeg. that is why on a cycle the footpegs are spring loaded. if you are racing alot try AC propeg nerfs, theget rid of your stock pegs and have the pegs mounted right on the nerf bar, the are more expensive but worth it. graydon proline also makes a great set of nerfs

Old 07-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

Any organized race requires nerf bars. In my humble opinion they are worth the money. I was practicing for hare scrambles without nef bars and did hook a tree with the back tire and it sent me flying about 10 feet in front of my machine. They will also protect your legs from other riders. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I raced a few with my ds. I have graydon nerfs. Brand spankin new. They suck so bad in the woods. All they do is get hung up on logs..or sticks, or you hit a tree and slide the tree across them when you are turning. I bought the nerfs for around 170.00 and now they are worth about 20.00. Both sides are bent to hell. Cross country is alot tighter then most people think, and its impossible not bend a nerf when racing xc circut. I dont like riding w/ them at all in the woods. Just me

ryan
00 ds
graydon nerf bars, Team Pami cid, Timmy Boy uppers aarms, PEP steering stablaizer, Razr tires, Douglas .190 rims, K&N air filter, Renthal Handlebars, 909 grips, Custom Endcap, ASV clutch perch/lever.

district 23 mx/xc

Old 07-23-2001, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

Just wanted to make the point that many (most?) cross-country/hare scramble series do not require nerf bars. Most notably, the GNCC doesn't require them to race.

Regards,

Dennis