ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Building a Racing Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a full on race 250r and lately I have been thinking about building up a race ready blaster just to play with, and maybe race in the air-cooled class now and again. I have a practice MX track behind my house with some big air freestyle type jumps and was thinking that a blaster would be real good for throwing around and doing tricks.

Plus, I just want another quad and thought this would be the way to go.

Anyone build one of these from the ground up? Would it be better to get a used blaster, older model and then just fix everything up and make it like new, or a new one and then add aftermarket? Do blasters hold up well when used?

I figured that if I could find a used one for say 1500 (should be easy enough) and then got a-arms, shocks, tires and rims and nerf bars it would be like a $4000 you cant get a full on race quad of any other kind that cheap I dont think!

I saw in ATV sport an article where some kid but a blaster motor in an R frame, how hard would that be to do? I have a lot of R parts left over from my buildup of my quad and wouldnt mind picking up a used frame and then bolting on my stock 250r parts, then modifying the hell outta the motor. I think that stock R suspension is probably just as good as aftermarket blaster stuff, unless you go high dollar with PEP shocks or something, but then you still have that little frame and stuff.
Also, are the 240 kits legal in the GNC air cooled class?
Thanks

Old 08-24-2001, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Two words...

Trenga Racing.

Call them ask them what to do. They are Blaster specailists!!

Good idea on the 250R frame!

Old 08-25-2001, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

My friend has a race ready blaster with pep shocks lonestar a-amrs axel stering stem denton stering damper and hole shot mx's all the way around..infact its for sale i think hes selling it for 3900 his number is 1-906-249-9460...

Old 08-25-2001, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

you will save LOTS of money if you buy a raceready one to start with. mine has tons of mods on it, a 240 kit is illegal to race on a blaster, the class is 200cc aircooled. trust me if you want to do good at the nationals it will take a TRICKED blaster and GREAT rider

Old 08-26-2001, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 2000 blaster, lonestar+2" a arms, lonestar+2" axle, lonestar steering stem,denton steering stabilizer, pep race front shocks, douglass 190's with holeshots mx all around, fmf fatty w/ turbine coreII, graydon proline nerfs, prox .010 over piston,trenga porting and polishing, trenga reed spacer, boysen pro series reeds, 28mm minkuni, shaved head, 14/39 gearing, rk x ring chain, uni dual stage filter. for sale for $3950. my email is dwoodruff@chartermi.net

Old 08-26-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

I realize that I would save money by just buying one already built up, but the idea was to build it myself for as cheaply as possible just to play with it. I kind of like doing my own mods so I can see exactly how much each helps and that kind of thing.

Thanks for the offers though.

Old 09-05-2001, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Geez! That Blaster motor in the 250R chassis thing sounds like a great idea!
I was thinking about racing my wifes Blaster in the sport class locally (300EX, Blaster, Polaris 250, etc). The main problem is the Blaster is too small for me. What with my knees bangin the fenders, and bottoming out the suspension all the time.
The reason I am thinking of switching to the sport class is because the trophy class has all other quads in it with no limits. There are Banshees (whith trick suspension), trick 250R's, etc. I can't compete on my stock motored 400EX, (except for one 2nd place trophy this year). I am getting too old to hang with those 16 year olds on those WICKED fast Banshees [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The sport class seems slightly more mellow (when I am watching, that is). I want to race, but I am wussing out cuz <u>when</u> I get hurt, it takes too long to heal! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

That is a really good idea!

Old 09-05-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Phil,

I saw the idea in dirtwheels, some kid had tricked out an R frame and put a built blaster motor in it. You may try and find the article, I am not sure what issue it was in. Actually I think it was the last ATV Sport if I am not mistaken.
Anyway, you might also go lookin the classifieds, there is a 200cc topend, air cooled made to go on a 250r that supposed kills blasters. Its one of a kind I belive, the price is a little steep, but it would be AWESOME.
Another idea would be a 250x or 300ex motor in the R frame, or a 400ex frame.

Old 09-05-2001, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

To that comment about the 250X or 300EX motor in an R frame:

My friend had a SWEET 330RX. He took a 250X motor, bored and stroked to 330cc. The R frame had been powdercoated and gusseted, Laeger Pro-Trax front end, Laeger Pro-Trax swingarm, Durablue X-33 axle... It was really nice. The 330CC honda motor pulls until throttle stop. I am willing to say that it pulls alot harder than my Banshee. If you're not holdin on, your @$$ iis on the grass!

Old 09-06-2001, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

The 250r framed blaster you mentioned was raced by Dustin Wimmer.You may be able to get more info on the bike from East Coast ATV his primary sponser I believe. I lined up next to him at the Orrville TT. I'll tell you what if you have the money to build one that would be the ticket. For going big on jumps I don't think the blaster chassis would hold up over time. I race a blaster in MX and I have been through 2 swing arms this year. Also I broke the peg off of the frame last year. Plus since you already have an R it would be nice to ride a bike with somewhat the same feel to play on.