ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

ATVA Needs our help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent an email to Doug Morris, the director of the ATVA, about class changes for 2003. The reply I got was great! He is very excited about rider opinion and is open for suggestions. Here are a few of my suggestions...

1.) Only allow motorcycle engines in the B class and up. Do not allow them in
the C class.Come on.....YZ426 and CR450 motors in the C class??

2.) Change the "air-cooled" class to the "Sportsman" class.
a.) Allow up to @350cc for 4-strokes and @220cc for 2 strokes. This way,
Warriors will have a home as well.
b.) NO Motorcycle Engines Allowed.
c.) NO Aftermarket Frames Allowed.

3.) If you sign up for more than one class, make the second class a little less
expensive. Instead of $40 per class, make the second class you sign up for
$30.

I also sent Doug a link to the forums. I do believe he will read this so speak out!!!

Old 04-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Range Rover

That all sounds great. I am just getting into racing and I am leary of having to run against the big boys with my little 250. I was thinking of buying more powerful quad, but if those rules come into effect, I'll just keep the Mo.
Lurch-how did you do against other bikes before your 330 kit?

Old 04-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Email me and I'll tell ya. Let's try and keep this thread about suggestions and comments on the topic.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I whole hearted agree, Especially about the changes to the air cooled class. The mojave was effectively strickened from the GNC by the air cooled only designation. It had no other competetive home. A 350 cc limit for four strokes and a 220 limit for 2 strokes would be great. No aftermarket frames and engine swapps. It would even be good to designate the types of quads in the class like the GNCC does in it's Sportsman class. Otherwise someone will down size a tricked out 250r to 220 cc.

Doug Morris, if you do visit the forums here, please keep in mind issues like this that help us less blessed financially folks race and be competitive. I am trusting that now that we have the ATVA, things will get better for quads.

Old 04-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

2.) Change the "air-cooled" class to the "Sportsman" class.
a.) Allow up to @350cc for 4-strokes and @220cc for 2 strokes. This way,
Warriors will have a home as well.
b.) NO Motorcycle Engines Allowed.
c.) NO Aftermarket Frames Allowed.

u mean in just the air cooled class that "NO aftermarket frames allowed"?..or do you mean in every class?

Old 04-03-2002, 03:30 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

ImageRacer250r- Just the air-cooled class.

Old 04-04-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I agree w/ Lurch 100%. Unfortunately I don't have the time money to travel and race the GNC's but at our local level tracks (mainly just Badlands MX) there is a "Blaster class" which allows 350 4-strokes and 220 2-strokes (I think) and the turn out for those classes are usually good.

I don't race the blaster class anymore (obviously, since I own a Dale) but I just wanted to back you up Lurch. Very good suggestions man.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks YoDaddy. Remember, this is for everyone who want's to have input on the ATVA rules!

Old 04-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What Lurch has started is something that is going to take place this year, if and when we start to rewrite the rule book for ATV's. At the present time the ATV section is very small and is very general.
think that the classes need to be redone, but you have to remember or make different section for each type of racing. The classes that work for hare scrambles will not work for MX. For example, in HS you can have a stock class but in MX it needs to be an OEM class with frame and cases. This is just my opition.
I like some of the ideas that have been listed so far, but what if a person puts a 350X engine in a 250R frame. Should that be in your "sportmans class"?

Old 04-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I like the idea, It gives the mojave a chance to race with quads its size.

Quick Reply: ATVA Needs our help!!!!!