ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

EWDRA Fall scrambles @ horn rapids ORV, Richland, WA

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EWDRA Fall scrambles @ horn rapids ORV, Richland, WA

just putting the word out that there is a race at Horn Rapids ORV Park(just outside of Richland, WA) on 11/3
there's usually 4 classes for quads: 250, open, 4-stroke, and ironman
all but ironman make only one lap, ironman class goes two loops.
the loop is ~22 miles long, open desert type riding. the start is a running lemans style w/ dead engines
i took 3rd in the 250 class this spring, fun race... and i'll be back for more.
for more info, contact: Don Grazini (509) 967-2404

anyone else here plan on going?

Old 10-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

update-
i just recieved the flyer today.
they changed it a little, the course is 10+ miles. the ATV classes are 250/open(2-laps), 4-stroke & 3-wheeler(2-laps), and ironman(4-laps) .
you can race ironman and one of the other classes, but it'll cost an additional fee.
cost: $5 gate, $35 to race.
gates open at 7AM,
ATV riders mtg 9:00
atv race starts 9:15

Old 10-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Heh I plan on being there are you?? It will be my first hare scramble. I'm riding a modded ds-650 should be lots of fun. Have you raced here before??

Old 10-12-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

i raced it last spring, it's a great race... i took 3rd in the 250 class, overall 9th of the 1- lap riders. a DS is a great machine for this race... wide open straights, lots of turns, some nice high speed sweepers, lots of whoops. you bet i plan on being there!

Old 10-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Is this race open to Newbies? I haven't raced before, but I would like to start. Is this a good place to start or should I look for something more mild? What do you guys think?

Old 10-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

this race is great for a newbie... no technical aspects to it, just go as fast as you can. the only tough part is your physical condition... it's a short endurance race.
this the most mild terrain i've raced on, the entire course gets groomed before the race(they cut some of the really big whoops down) and is at least 8 ft wide the entire length after the start. passing isn't tough, once they guy in front of you realizes you're there they usually move over, but if they don't the sides are mostly small brush & not bad to pass on.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I have done poker runs on my 400ex and flat tracked my banshee. What would be a better bike to bring? Do you need nerd bars and kill cord or run what you brung?

Old 10-17-2002, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

run what ya brung! the choice is yours on which to take, since it's a dead engine start the easier starting bike is best for this, but the banshee is at home in this type of setting (depending on how modified yours is for flat track.)
it's very sandy, but has some dirt/dust & small rocks.... the whoops can be deep, they don't take all of them out

somthing to remember is that they can throw in a MX section... it's part of the fun of harescrambles, you can't just go off of what they've done in a previous race... but what i've described above is my experience from this spring.

-as for requirements, the flyer states: 'kill tether recommended for all' and 'spark arrestors & ORV tags required' camping is available.
nerfs & number plates are not required... but i'd recommend a front & rear # plate, and nerfs are a really good thing to have in the start(everyone's going for the same 20' wide gate at the same time)... after that they are no big deal because you're not dicing it up for position the same way. i bent my nerfs on the gate, i didn't see it b/c of dust, hit the brakes & slid sideways into it... w/o them i would have likely DNF'd right there w/ either a broken axle or swingarm... the nerfs did thier job.

Old 10-28-2002, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

so who all plans on going???
gates open at 7:00AM, ATV riders meeting is at 9:00(usually outside the 'barn' just past the sand drag strip), race starts there after....

Old 10-30-2002, 08:13 PM
ben
Trailblazer

i may go, there is also a poker run on bell fair sunday,but this one sounds better,but is a little out my way if my friends help me with the driving i may go,i have to come back saturday,dual-sporter i still have your # so if i go i'll give you a call by friday,can you parctice friday? i have never done a quad race,only dirt bikes.

Quick Reply: EWDRA Fall scrambles @ horn rapids ORV, Richland, WA