ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Predator vs Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator vs Banshee

Old post but i thought i would add my 2cents.
i bought my banshee for 1700.00 stock, i have since added a lonestar axel and hubs vito's power pistons, hi rev cdi, ricky stator and flywheel, boost bottle, toomy t-6 pipes and silencers, jet kit, shaved the head, and new rims i hated the gold witch didnt do sh@t for power but i gotta tell you the other things sure did and im still under 3k invested. i race my buddies on 450r's well i let them think they can keep up but i dont like riding alone......... i dont know anything that can keep up and as far as trail riding its allot of fun! i have also installed an aftermarket car transmission cooler inline that keeps it cool. I'm going to try cam 2 soon but havnt gotten around to it i dont need it but want to see how much of a gain it gives me. the one thing i really notice since doing all the work is that 6th gear is really usable now power till it runs out of rev " witch is pretty freakin fast!" 4 strokes and tampons have allot in common lol but seriously never felt the same rush on a four stroke.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

preddy

Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
STOCK- Banshee 0-30 mph 3.77 -- 0-45 mph 8.48 -- 20-40 mph 4.23
Predator 0-30 mph 3.21 -- 0-45 mph 6.98 -- 20-40 mph 3.20
atvs

In 8 seconds (with traction), Banshees have often been at 85mph with some mods in 1/8th mile drags, think about it, 0-45 mph in 8 seconds in slower than MINIVAN!! And a Banshee would definitely stomp a minivan, especially 0-45 mph and/or the 1/8th mile.......

Old 09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

Old 09-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

Wow.....what an old thread......VERY entertaining.

I will agree that for outright power, the Banshee engine has the most potential of any stock engine put in any ATV to date. It's a 2-stroke, so it has a power pulse every crank rotation (unlike a 4-stroke, which has a power pulse every other crank rotation), not to mention it has no valvetrain (which means it revs faster, and has the potential to rev higher). But, since it is a twin cylinder engine, it actually has a power pulse every 180 degrees of crank rotation. Now, granted, the cylinders (stock) are less than 175cc each, but still......the power is smoother than that of a 4-stroke. Like ANY 2-stroke, it must be kept in the "powerband" to make the most of it's power. This CAN create a traction issue - and loss of traction=loss of forward momentum. Ever watch IHRA/NHRA drag racing? What happens when the tires break loose? They go up in smoke and the car goes nowhere FAST!

I had an '87 'Shee, and currently own a '99. Both were(are) lightly modded. I have ridden a few different ATV's in my lifetime, including Raptors and a DS650, and I prefer my 'Shee. As in ANY type of racing, you are limited by only 2 things: 1)Rules, and 2)Available $$$. As far as potential - the Banshee engine is hard to beat, but it takes a certain type of rider to maximize that power. I've heard this before, in reference to the new 4-strokes that are replacing the 2-strokes (these were bike guys that ride MX) - "The new 4-strokes are for the lazy man, and are easier to ride fast. But the 2-strokes are faster in the right hands." I think there's truth in that statement.

As for suspension & handling, well stock, the Banshee is not as good as the newer quads. But, it is pretty much unchanged since 1987 (well, we did get A-arms to replace the old J-arms at least)! So, what do you expect? With the proper mods, the suspension can be made just as good, I'm sure. So, it comes down to 2 things: 1)Intended riding, and 2)Available $$$.

IMHO, nothing can beat that "seat of the pants" feel that a 2-stroke like the Banshee has! Oh, and just for comparison's sake, my 13 y/old's '98 YZ80 is faster than a stock Raptor 350! As for having to rebuild the 2-strokes frequently.....well, that can be reduced by proper fuel mixing, and it's alot easier (and cheaper) to rebuild a 2-stroke than a 4-stroke (no valvetrain to worry about). That includes when things break (and if you've got $$$ into them, they WILL break). More maintenance? Maybe. Depends (like anything else) on the rider........

Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

deiseltech
woah thats a good post u just made dude... umm yeah ur right about the rider thing, id hate to say it but im a 4 stroke rider, i am perfect at 4 strokes, on 2 strokes its a different ballgame im not that good.. and whoever says yfz450s and banshees feel alike with the power is wrong its completely different 2 me.. umm yea well ive seen a piped banshee vs. a piped preadtor and the banshee won every race so i guess id say banshee

Old 09-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

WoW, this is the older than dirt thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

yea wow 2003, how bout we stop usin the thread and then in another 2 years we come back 2 it

Old 09-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 05 predator 500 with a full system HMF exhaust and a 560 big bore kit...any bike that ive been up against ive beat them....ive beaten raptors..yfz...banshees...i have over 5 grand in my bike..and questions ..my email is Quintonr500@yahoo.com or my aol name is Big Juiced

Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: steroidboy
I have a 05 predator 500 with a full system HMF exhaust and a 560 big bore kit...any bike that ive been up against ive beat them....ive beaten raptors..yfz...banshees...i have over 5 grand in my bike..and questions ..my email is Quintonr500@yahoo.com or my aol name is Big Juiced
5 grand is alot of money...... You should have more mod's than what you have listed...

Quick Reply: Predator vs Banshee