ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

I'm 50 and want to race...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm 50 and want to race...

Ok, so I waited a while. Anyway, I've always wanted to try it. I don't have a sport bike yet but thought I would try my Vinson at an upcoming Hare Scrambles. If I really like it, I may invest in a sport bike.

I have a bunch of questions:

1. Tether switch - do you have to completely cut the hot wire and wire one end of the switch to each end, OR splice into both the hot wire and ground and wire one end of the tether switch to the hot, one to the ground?

2. Boots...rules say boots over 8 inches high right? I don't want to invest in a lot of gear if I don't like it. What do you recommend?

3. Do they have a class for my Vinson at a Hare Scrambles event?

4. Would someone summarize the rules? Mass start, then the course is marked so part of the challenge is finding the course while racing others? Is that right?

Looking forward to any help you all can provide.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

as far as the kill switch if you don't want to cut I pluged mine in the coil with the other wire. I grounded it to my bars.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: markdf

1. Tether switch - do you have to completely cut the hot wire and wire one end of the switch to each end, OR splice into both the hot wire and ground and wire one end of the tether switch to the hot, one to the ground?

Dirtgirl reply - On quads that have batteries (like yours) and you buy a Pro Design kill switch - they are the best ones. They are the clip type. Those cheap ones that have the rubber stopper don't work as good because the stopper sometimes doesn't stay in place. You want to wire the long wire to the pulse trigger wire on the stator and the short one to a good ground.

2. Boots...rules say boots over 8 inches high right? I don't want to invest in a lot of gear if I don't like it. What do you recommend?

Dirtgirl reply - You can pick up a set of boots pretty cheap on ebay sometimes if you look there...

3. Do they have a class for my Vinson at a Hare Scrambles event?

You can run their utility class, or the 30+ veteran's class, or the novice class.. Just depends on which class you feel most comfortable running.

4. Would someone summarize the rules? Mass start, then the course is marked so part of the challenge is finding the course while racing others? Is that right?

AMA Harescramble Rulebook here are the AMA rules for the Grand National races, but the regular ones are similar. It all depends on where you are racing and what the sanctioning body of the track is. CRA rules may be a little different, but yeah you have the right idea on how it is run. This rulebook may answer more questions that you have. the complete AMA rulebook listing

Old 05-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Good deal! Common out and have a ball!
boots:: I use a tall work boot. I just cant stand racing boots [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
the start:: your class will be in a line across the field,you wont be first so just watch the others.
find the trail:: again,you wont be first,follow the others [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Relax and have a great time is what I recommend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtgirl
Which wire is the pulse wire on the stator. I'm going to the GNCC race this weekend, and just got my Pro Design tether, but don't know which wire. It's a KFX 700

Old 05-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I am not really sure which one it is on those. You knowwhere the stator is right? If so you might could look at what color the wires are coming out of it and if you don't have a repair manual for it yet (shame on you if you don't [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) You may be able to call up to your local dealership and they might be able to help you.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Alright! Lots of good info. Thanks to everyone. I've been thinking of doing this for a while. I have a feeling that if I like it, I'll be spending a few hundred on equipment; maybe eventually buying a sport bike.

I ordered the Pro Design tether switch yesterday from Rocky Mountain ATV. Sounds like I don't have to buy racing boots, work boots will do, right? And I shouldn't count on being first - I just want to have fun and finish. My 45 yr. old girlfriend wants to race my other Vinson too. That should be something to see; two beginners going against each other.

There's a Hare Scramble at Jericho, UT this weekend. If it doesn't downpour, I think we may show up and give it a try.

What about gloves? For the first time, can I just use work gloves?

LT80, I grew up in western PA north of Pittsburgh. Where's East Springfield?

Thanks again,
Mark

Old 05-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well good luck and let us know how it goes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

I'm 40 and I just started racing last year. I do desert races and GPs. I think it's great you're giving it a go. I really enjoy the excitement and camaraderie of the race. I don't know the format of a Hare Scramble, but I assume you're trying to go as fast as you can. That said, protecting yourself in the event that you crash is pretty important. The sanctioning body that runs our races requires us to wear chest protectors, Snell approved helmets, long pants, long sleaves, gloves and boots like others have described. Don't skimp on protection, you don't want to make your first race your last. As far as gloves go, work gloves usually have big seams that have more of a chance for giving you blisters than riding gloves.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for encouragement and the tip re: gloves. I went and bought a pair today from the local ATV shop. I'd rather spend a few bucks than have blisters during the race.

I've been trying to read as much about quad setup as I can. Seems like one of the first things a rider needs is good suspension for desert type racing. I talked with the race coordinator last night and he told me he had just finished marking the course on a new Grizzly 660. It's being held in a desert type riding area called Little Sahara, just west of Jericho, UT. He said it was pretty rocky and tight and commented on the sport bikes that have widened their front ends having problems with it last year.

I just hope the weather is good on Sat. Thanks again for all of the help.
Mark

Quick Reply: I'm 50 and want to race...