ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

But Officer, I think I am street legal !

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I have to add, that it's more than just slapping an orange triangle and a hay bale on your atv.
There is a different registration that goes along with it, and you may want to make sure there is a farm around.

“Agricultural purpose” means a purpose related to the transportation of farm implements, equipment, supplies, or products on a farm or between farms. Operation between a dwelling and a farm or piece of non- agricultural property does not meet this definition unless the dwelling is on the same piece of property as the farm.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Not trye in my area, or at least they dont enforce it if it is.....we have lots of slow moving farm equipment on the road frequently as well as 13yr old kids operating them, which is legal, so I am told. The local police do stop and ticket those that behave stupid and in not safe manors. I have been riding on our roads for 20 yrs with no issues! Then again I dont act stupid or do stupid things. Police wave and stop and chat on ocassion, especially when riding the grandkids. In fact I even haul thing for some neighbors on ocassion and enjoy plowing drives during heavy snow.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would love that. My shop is 2 mins away, and I enjoy taking my wheeler once and a while. I behave, and I don't **** everybody off, because I want to continue to do so.
Now, my little ***** neighbor on the other hand, he would like to f@*k it up for everyone. Little entitled 13yo, with a 850 or so Can Am, with no exhaust on it, runs through the neighborhood at 50+mph. Parents don't seem to care as well.
....also loves to run it every time I get a chance to sit down and watch the Packers. Starting to think the moron must be a Bears fan, which would explain A LOT!

Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the grate things of living in this small rural area is the sheriff and his deputies all "five" come from farming and rural upbringings. As long as you are not being a dumbass and the equipment is safe you can getaway with driving atv/utv/homemade equipment... LOL for years we had two old school buses with the cabs totally removed for hallin hay and firewood no one gave us a second look.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My one local ATV buddy is chairperson of our local ATV riding club. He told me last summer they were testing a new non-advertised ATV law in my region.

In summary:
- We are allowed to drive on secondary roads (on the right side, going slow, using hand signals) from our home to Trail Head opening. We are also allowed to drive from Trail exists/entries to gas stations. And from trail exits / openings to eating / food places and ATV trailer loading zones as well.
- While driving on the right side of road, we must have full helmet / safety gear (like no riding in bare feet) and must be driving with caution.
- and, we must have "on demand" proper papers (re: ownership, auto drivers license, insurance and valid local ATV trail pass) as well.

So far, its been working great. He was telling me a few warnings (re: If trail opening is over there and your home or gas station is over there, then why are you in opposite corners of these points???). But overall, "my local unwritten ATVs on secondary roads" law is working great. And, if we have another good year, they will fully pass this new local law and publicly announce it to all.

Long mumblings short.... I'm sure many regions are ready to try similar "its now time to allow ATVs on the secondary roads" laws as well.... It's just a matter of time... Especially for regions that have formal ATV trails and don't want large Tow Vehicle and ATV trailers on the side of their roads (making road traffic dangerous) for hours and hours each day....

Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Street Legal Here

Live in South West Montana, we are very fortunate. Not only are we allowed to ride on secondary roads but also in any city in our county. Can't say what the other counties are doing although I do see ATV's/UTV's out on the road when traveling throughout the state so would assume it is a state wide law. We register our machines, we are issued a permanent plate, and also have to purchase a a permanent off road sticker for all of the forest service trails around the state if we want to ride them. Nice to be able to run to the store, gas station, across town to plow my moms place or out on the county highway to my brothers if I feel like it(not necessarily good for the tires to run on all of that pavement but we do have the privilege to do so.) The least they can do for us with all of the property taxes we have to pay for not having a state sales tax. We generally have places to park our tow vehicles with trailers when we head to the mountains so it isn't too big of a deal for us.