ATV riding on public secondary roads Does your state allow it

An ATV for my wife -- is this a bad plan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An ATV for my wife -- is this a bad plan?

My plan is to purchase a new or used ATV that she could ride around the neighborhood on paved and gravel roads -- not out on the main city streets. But I would like the ATV to be street-legal, 2WD is sufficient. She is 69 years old, a bit frail but still in pretty good health, not a bit fat. I've never ridden an ATV but its not for me. I still ride motorcycles. I guess my question is: Are ATVs too squirrelly for her to ride on the street?

I also thought about getting her a scooter. Is this maybe a better idea?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

ATV's tend to push when you're trying to turn on paved surfaces. All makers now have power steering which largely mitigates the problem. Not sure what the laws are there as far as ATV use goes. May eliminate some of the models available. Another thought would be something lower to the ground like a Polaris RZR. You'd have to do something pretty drastic to tip a RZR on a street.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

Polaris RZR looks big and expensive. I was hoping to get her something that weighs under 400 lbs, maybe 250 cc, 2WD, automatic, and under $4K, used.

I've also thought about a used electric golf-cart for her.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it even possible to make ATVs street legal where you are? It's not here or a lot of other places either. Golf carts are easier to make street legal in some areas, especially electric ones.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Is it even possible to make ATVs street legal where you are? It's not here or a lot of other places either. Golf carts are easier to make street legal in some areas, especially electric ones.
I'm not sure if they can be set up to be completely street-legal.

I keep changing my mind about this. Some days I think a scooter would be best for her. Then I think an atv/utv would be best. Then I think that a golf cart would be best. Maybe I won't buy anything.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honestly, if it's just around the neighborhood, I'd see what golf carts are available. Just plug it in at night and off she goes in the morning. Just be careful that the batteries can still take a charge.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

My brother bought his wife a used Husqvarna HUV. It's very underpowered, top speed 25 mph or so and kinda low slung, not good for off road, but she loves it around their farm. Very easy to drive, sits 2 side by side, has a dump body that her dogs like to ride in. She likes to carry gardening supplies and baskets of veggies and fruits in it. He paid $3,000 for it. Has a small gas motor and automatic CVT belt drive. I drove it once, was kinda nice.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I'm still thinking about an atv/utv for her. A smaller one. I don't think I even need to have it street-legal if she's just going to ride it around our subdivision, which is way out from town.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
My brother bought his wife a used Husqvarna HUV. It's very underpowered, top speed 25 mph or so and kinda low slung, not good for off road, but she loves it around their farm. Very easy to drive, sits 2 side by side, has a dump body that her dogs like to ride in. She likes to carry gardening supplies and baskets of veggies and fruits in it. He paid $3,000 for it. Has a small gas motor and automatic CVT belt drive. I drove it once, was kinda nice.
I looked online to see the HUV since I've never seen one. They made one that only had 14 HP. It looks like they don't make them anymore.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

I've narrowed my search down to these new machines:

These three are basically the same machine, all have the same Kymco engine/drive train:

- Arctic Cat Alterra 300 ($4299)
- Kawasaki BRUTE FORCE 300 ($4299)
- Kymco MXU 270 ($3899)

Honda FourTrax Recon 250 ($4099)
Suzuki Ozark 250 ($4599)

Any thoughts or comments? Is there one that is a lot better than the rest?