Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying an atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an atv

Yea the scrambler sounds good but i don't know about a polaris people have problems with them i got 2 friends with them and they are always in the shop or something is broken i have been looking at the eiger really hard.Does it have a heavy front end cause i climb some really steep hills.What is the top speed of the eiger.I do alot of my riding on gaslines where there is mud and steep hills.I trail ride some to and ride dirt roads with my friends that have dirt bikes.The dealer nearst me says i can have the eiger 400 5spd 4x4 out the door for 4700.Is that a good deal?

Thanks for all the help!!

-------------------------------------------
98 bayou 220

Old 06-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

Hell yea thats a good deal, I told you if you buy it you wouldnt regret it, I got mine by accident, it was supposed to be my wifes (thats why its automatic) and the recon was for my daughter, I was going to get a bike, then we realized that it wasn't safe for my daughter she was only 11 at the time so my wife took the recon and I got the Eiger, I was going to use it till winter and trade it in for a Vinson 4x4 5spd, but I fell in love with it, not only that I will always buy an Auto now instead of a manual, the pros outnumber the cons by 3-1 (and I was one of those guys that used to say Auto's were for pussies) their just too much fun, and everyone says that when they ride it and don't have to worry about gears.

My top speed is 53mph on dirt road, My brother who weighs 80lbs lighter says he got 54 out of it, a friend of mine says his manual hits 55 on pavement, dont know about a heavy front end, but I have climbed some really steep hills so steep I had to find a different route down it was just too scary.

And dont forget its been in about 5 shootouts and won them all, one in which it beat the Outlander 400 (even though the outlander beat it in all catagories) was because of its value, best bang for the buck.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default buying an atv

In defense of the Scrambler, although you may have already forgotten the idea, my brother's has never had the first problem. Maybe he got the anti-lemon. Who knows. It's been run into things and rolled several times and never had a single thing break. And top speed is estimated to be around 64.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

If you plan on buying a Scrambler don't plan on hauling very much with you since their is very little rack space. If your going to go mudding alot I would look for a machine with a little more mud protection(more fender) than the scrambler. Buy an A/C 500i manual and get the best of both worlds.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default buying an atv

I belive im gonna go with the eiger but 5spd or automatic i heard the belt slips in deep mud on the automatic and is the eiger gonna be a real reliable 4 wheeler i will probably keep it for a while.

Thanks again!!

--------------------
98 bayou 220

Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

Ramg66, Man Imma have to disagree with you about the Auto Vs. Manuel!!! The Manuel has more torque, No slipping in Mud or Water, Better for work, more reliable. I was planning on getting a Auto but Im glad I got the manuel cause when I ride with my friend and his Grizzly I can pick on him because of his belt slippage when we go in water and deep mud!! Now If I did alot of trail riding i would definately get the Auto but I gotta stay with Old School Manuel!! lol

Old 06-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

Ive heard about belt slipping, and I think the Autos are getting better and better by the year, I have not had a single problem with mine, I do a lot of trail riding and hill climbing but when I see a mud hole/water I attack and have not had any kind of belt slippage, dont even know what it would be like if it did, and If I want torque I put that puppy in low gear and I have all the torque I need, but to each his own.

As far a reliability mine is rock solid, its actually more reliabe than my Honda Recon, I did get the $345 warranty to extend it to 4 1/2 years for peace of mind, $hit it was only like $5 dollars more a month......pssst.

Hey Eiger4x4 at least hes going with the Eiger [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

Yea thats true! Then it will be time for Tires!! jk

Old 06-11-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default buying an atv

Originally posted by: rebalbayouman
I was wondering if you could help me decide what mid-sized(300-450) atv is right for me.I do alot of riding on dirt roads,trails,big hills,and mud.So I need something that is kind of fast,good at hill-climbing,good in the mud,and has a good suspension.I don't do alot of towing but sometimes I tow trees,logs,limbs, and trailers.

Any advice would help.

I also like the scrambler for mud and hillclimbs but I would get the 500 four by four. You also need it for utility purposes it looks like. I like the eiger also but the suzuki vinson is also another nice 4by4 and it has a lot more power than the eiger, it's just more expensive.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

98 Bayou 220

Old 06-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Range Rover
Default buying an atv

Originally posted by: Eiger4x4
Yea thats true! Then it will be time for Tires!! jk
I know, im still bugging the wife for some new ones for myself, how do you like your Super Swamper Vampires?