Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Big Guy Buying a Utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Guy Buying a Utility ATV

I just moved to a new house with some acerage and two large driveways. I'm going to purchase an ATV for plowing the driveways and working around the property (jockying trailers around, pulling a small trailer, etc.) but I also want to be able to do some trail riding with my buddies that have ATVs. My knowledge of ATVs is VERY limited and I'd like some advice.

I'm a big guy (6'-5"/230 lbs.) but I'm an inexperienced rider. So I'm not sure if I should go for a big 650 or 700 to accomodate my size or a smaller 400 or 500 to accomodate my lack of skill. Having said that, I don't want to have to upgrade to a bigger ATV right away because I've "outgrown" the one that I get. Also, I'm not sure what engine displacement is adequate for plowing snow. I've looked at the Yamaha Grizzly and Kodiak, Honda Rubicon, Polaris 700 and 500 Sportsman, Kawasaki Prairie 650 (now 700) and also the Bombardier Outlander 400 and Suzuki Vinson. I keep changing my mind about which would be the best one to get. Help!

I would appreciate it if any experienced ATVers here would tell me which machine they would buy if they were me. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

I own a rubicon and love it, it's a 500cc. The automatic transmition is great. If you do not like auto, you have the option to shift threw gears with a push button thumb switch on the handlebar. I feel it gives you better control, that's all I ever use. I owned an '03 bombardier 650 quest and it was a turd compared to the honda. The prairie and grizz would make great machines for you as well, a little big for a first timer but you should get use to the size and power fairly quickly, depending on how much riding you do. All great trail machines and utility quads. Best advice would be to ride them all and decide which you like better and which feels better for you. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I am 6'1 and also weigh about 230 and I have a Arctic Cat 400i.If I were you I would look at p700,Rubicon,Vinson or the new Arctic Cat 650,all are excellent machines.Personally I like the A/C 650 and the Vinson the most.Even the A/C 500 would suit you fine with plenty of pulling power and tons of fun.

Old 08-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

You have a hard decision to make. All of the ATVs you mentioned are good quads. If I were you though, I'd get something at least 500cc. I don't think you should worry about starting with something smaller because you are new to riding. You will catch on in no time. You should take a good look at the Grizzly. It has Independent Rear Suspension too. It will give a big guy like you a nice comfy ride. The Polaris's have IRS too, but I'm not a big Polaris fan. My advice to you is to test ride as many as you can and see which ones you like or don't like. Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

What do your buddies ride? They may have some input also, also what they have experience with. I am rather partial to the sportsman 500ho. Did not care for the ride of the AC (500i) nor the grizz they seemed a bit unstable. The rubicon was too complicated in the shifting dept but a decent ride, would rather just go. Kodiak and prarie were nice riding stable because of the straight axle maybe but for me therin was also the drawback, lack of ground clearance in mud or going over and getting hung up on trees etc. Although i did get a stick ran through my CV boot a couple weeks ago. GOOD LUCK.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buy a quad that fits you and your needs. If it happens to be a Prairie 700 then just don't drive beyond your limits. You could hurt yourself on a 250 if you drive it bad enough. Just take it easy for a while and wear lots of padding and a helmet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Comfort and necessity first.

There are so many good quads out there to choose from and you really need to do some searching to see what will work for you. Everyone will tell you a little something different. Your wallet will give you the best opinion.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a 2001 traxter (which is for sale) that works great for plowing snow. If you are interested PM me and I will tell you more about it

Old 08-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

i dont know a lot about utilities but my friends dad id a very big man(heavier than you) and he has a grizzly and it is perfect for him

Old 08-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

bottom line go with the grizzly. They're great quads with awesome power and will perfectly fit a big guy.

Old 08-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

It is the same with the Rincon,P700,A/C 500.I can't say if the A/C 650 is but I am sure it will be.

Quick Reply: Big Guy Buying a Utility ATV