Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Performance of kids quads? Eton and LT80

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2000, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to get my son a quad for his birthday. I have come down to 2 choices. The Eton 90 and the LT80.

First, I have been through all the old forums and read all the posts, but I would like some additional information and possible updated stuff.

I know my son is interested in racing, down the road, so performance is a big concern. I know all about the safety features of the kid quads. And they both seem to have the same features. Throttle limiter etc.

Right now I am leaning towards the LT80. It has been around for a while and quite frankly, I like the looks better than the Eton.

My guess is the power is roughly the same for the two quads. Maybe the LT80 has a few more aftermarket parts out, but that will not be for a few years yet. But what about the suspension between the two quads?

I watched the kid’s race at the last quad race. There was one kid that ran away from everyone, but I think he has special quad. KX80 motor type thing. But I did not see any Etons on the track.

I did read the article in the magazine comparing the two, but I would like to hear from some one that has experience with both quads.

Old 06-02-2000, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

I have no experience with the eton, but I do have an LT-80 for my oldest son (5). I like the suzuki quite a bit. It has great suspension, electric start etc. The machine I have is a 1990 model which I bought used in 98. I have had no problems with the bike with the exception of starter failure last week. The oil injection system works well, and the bike starts on command. The oil system uses VERY little 2 cycle oil. The air filter is in a crappy location, but other than that, the bike is very user friendly.

My son had a yamaha moto-4 80 and a trx-70 prior to this bike, and he just never wanted to shift gears. The LT-80 allowed him to hone his riding skills and pick up some speed without the worry of shifting. It worried me at first to have him learn on a bike with no gears, but I figure that he can learn to shift on his next bike.

I recommend the suzuki from my own experiences.

Old 06-06-2000, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

We looked at the LT-80, & then purchased the E-ton Axl-90. The E-ton actually beat the LT-80 in a shoot out.

The E-ton is wider than the LT-80, thus its less tippy in off camber situation & cornering. Engine is the same both are 83 or 84 cc range.

My kids E-ton has about 10 hours & 100 miles on it.

The E-ton was 500 less expensive than the Suzuki.
There will be more parts & aftermarket addons for the Suzuki.

Our last club ride, we received several comments on how well put together the E-ton was, not bad coming from Honda owners.

No disappointments or regrets. I don't know is the shocks are adjustable on the Suzuki, they are on the E-ton

Good Luck

Old 06-07-2000, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

no......the shocks are not adjustable on the suzuki. I just ordered a set of 18 X 9.5 X 8 turf tamers for the rear of my sons lt-80 to help with stability + his current back tires are smoked.

Old 06-08-2000, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

We've had the 90cc for about a year now and it's been a great buy with no problems at all. The front shocks have adjustable preload but the rear is factory set and tack welded. My son is ten and the 6 year old rides it too when the older one's not home...lol. I did alot of comparison to the lt80 side by side in a showroom...the eton is wider, almost identical suspension, electric start with backup kick (eton), tires were identical, eton was cheaper in price. So far, never been even close to rolling or flipping...very stable and safe. Uses a million gallons of gas to one tank of injector oil. No mods out yet accept taking out the factory donut in the exhaust...(an eton reccomendation in the owners manuel).

Old 06-08-2000, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Extreme,

You are right about the oil usage. After 3 & 1/2 tanks of gas, I haven't added oil to this thing.

How do you remove the donut. I haven't done this to his quad. I will go back & read his owners manual.