Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

EBay Fraud - How To Spot It Buying An ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBay Fraud - How To Spot It Buying An ATV

I have never and will never buy anything off ebay. It is to easy to get scammed!

Old 04-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: atvmanic
I have never and will never buy anything off ebay. It is to easy to get scammed!

Boy, aren't we adventurous. I wrote this email originally, and I buy stuff all the time on Ebay.....save a bundle ....you just can't be a moron about it. I've bought 3 Polaris ATV's on EBay....no issues what so ever. I got 3 2002 Polaris 700 for $15,000. Under 500 miles on all 3 ATV's combined. I just got Magellan TOPO Map CD for my GPS on Ebay....Brand new: $149 My price on Ebay used: $40

Use your head and not be stupid, and there are literally 10's of thousands of legit sellers.

Note: All the ATV sellers scamming ATV's, ARE NOT selling them on Ebay. They are ADVERTISING them Ebay, but they won't let you buy through Ebay. Why? Because they don't want people to read bad feedback.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: atvmanic

Ive bought or sold over 70 items on Ebay and never been scamed. I've bought 2 ATVs there. I paid cash in person for both though. The only problem Ive ever had with Ebay is 2 non paying bidders that cost me about 10$ all together. The deals Ive found there more than make up for it. I got my friends Quadzilla on Ebay for 500$, he should have it running for under 1300$ total.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I am gonna stop buying on EBAY.........I got scambed on a video camera....doesn't work....EBAY sellers can really suck...EBAY is not to blame, but people will take advantage of anything.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just want to bump this up since it seems there are a run of FRAUD quads listed on eBay right now.

Take Ken's advice..be smart. There are good deals out there (and honest sellers), you just need to be careful.

We bought an '04 Ranger and '04.5 600 Sportsman and both were excellent transactions!

Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great post. People really need to be aware of scammers. Here's a thought. Since this fraud ring is international, wouldn't interpol have some jurisdiction here? There have to be international trade laws being violated here. It seems to me that an international law enforcement agency would have to be used to investigate these people. Also has anyone tried to contact 60 minutes, or dateline or one of those news shows about this? Could make a pretty interesting story.

Old 05-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey fellas, Great thread you got going here. You guys should check out some of the scams going on boat motors on ebay. I had one of these aholes try to burn me for $2000 on a motor that was worth $6000 easy. Basically the same scam but the guy said he was in south africa and the motor came off of his boat that was docked in miami and it would be shipped from there. It was a pretty shabby scam. He didn't seem as good as some of the ones in the emails you guys have posted but I'll bet even he has had his share of gullible people send him money. After this happened I got to looking really good and it is unbeleivable at how many are scamming on boat motors. I saw several with the same pic and same add as the one that tried to scam me but a different username. Big boat motors aren't as readily avalible locally as atv's are. You have to sometimes 100 miles or more away to find one. I think that is one reason they are a very big target for scammers on ebay.

I didn't let this turn me away from ebay though because there are alot of good deals on there. You just have to use your head. Kind of like when the sellers say buyer pays shipping and handling but doesn't disclose what it is gonna be. I have learned to ask because alot of them does that purposely so they can make up difference in price if it doesn't bring what they wanted. I've also had a few sellers sell me things that had flaws that they for some reason didn't want to include in thier description. Buyer beware I guess. Ebay should post a guide for poeple to read that tells all these little tricks about buying and selling so that people doesn't have to learn from experience like I and others have.

I'm now in the market for an atv and I'm glad I found your thread here. I've looked on ebay a few times at atv's mostly to just see the different kinds and try to get an idea of what thier worth. I just didn't realize that there was that many scammers into the atv's too. No loss though I was going to buy locally. There are just to many around locally that you can test ride to even think about taking a chance with on ebay.

Someone posted earlier that 60 minutes or dateline should do a story on it. I agree it would make a great story. Better yet bust a few of the aholes then it would make a better story.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

It seems scammers are doing it on the Buy side now as well. This would explain why Ebay is promoting their own Escrow Service.

My friend sent me this link (knowing my research on sellers). It's a long read...but if you want to feel good about 1 scammer...getting TOTALLY OWNED....this is worth the read.

What's funny...if you read my original post and this one....these scammer seem to think the world is SO LARGE, that we couldn't POSSIBLY know someone to check them out.

Enjoy.

Scam The Scammer- A story of Revenge