Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Any advice on which quad to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004 | 02:44 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Any advice on which quad to get?

Hey, thank you all for your time and advice, I really appreciate it! I AM NO LONGER QUADLESS, that is awesome. I am now the owner of a 300EX, and it hasn't really set in yet that I went to such an extreme and have a manual, chain drive sport quad. I've only had the chance to ride one day and I LOVE IT!!!!! Not sure why I didn't switch over sooner! I like the suspension, I don't get so beat up riding!! I have to learn how to jump...I was used to jumping the Rancher, way different! But I'm getting there, it took a few tries. Now I'm working on wheelies...not something I was accustomed to with the Rancher. It's a little weird, and I'm sure will take me some practice. I really like how it handles in the woods! The steering is SOOOO easy and it just flies down the trails! It's ~200 pounds lighter than the Rancher was, a big plus for me since I don't weigh too much. I haven't owned a clutch bike since I sold my last dirtbike a few years ago, but I certainly didn't forget how to operate one and I like it again!! I still have some other things to get used to since I've never owned a sport quad, like hills and 2wd (momentum instead of traction), braking (just have to get used to it with the clutch, I was locking up the back tires on a big hill...maybe I wasn't using the front brake enough), and I'm sure there are some other things I'm not aware of yet. Anyways, thanks again for all your posts! I have some new pics on my photo page, but unfortunately they are just on the trailer--loading the new quad to take home. Hopefully all my new pics will have some airtime in them!

Old 01-01-2004 | 02:45 AM
|
Pro Rider

Bartlett,

I like your truck in your sig, that is cool!!!!! How much time does one have to spend to make such a cool thing?? Very creative!

Old 01-01-2004 | 03:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, what a curve ball. You made a good choice and the 300ex will serve you well.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (Reliable and lots of fun.) Good luck with your new quad. I kind of miss my Warrior just because it was so fun to ride. Someday, I'll get another sports quad. You'll have to post a picture of your first trophy you win with it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2004 | 03:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bartlett- I just noticed the truck also, nice job. Kinda looks like a polaris. j/k

Old 01-01-2004 | 04:32 AM
Pro Rider

Get a Wolverine and get a Warn 424 select installed right off the bat. its the same engine as the Yamaha Warrior with a 5 speed semi-auto, it rips in 2x4 and gets through the muck in 4x4. its smaller and much more agile than the rancher but still has the higher clearence. Ive been riding my wolverine for a number of years and no matter what i buy or sell that baby isnt going anywhere. it does every type of riding and can keep up with the best of them in it all. Its not the best in any catigory but the best for every kind of terrain. the 424 select 2x4 kit is really a good idea and if you have the money an FMF megamax exaust and K&N intake go well too. with just those three things you will be happy for as long as you ride i promise. Im 180 and mine still rips me around, ive ridden Quadzillas and insane dirtbikes but that wolverine is still plenty of a kick in the pants to keep me riding it

Old 01-13-2004 | 04:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

I went riding on Sunday...RIVER riding, and it was 56 degrees! I figured I would hate having 2wd, or that I would be terrible at riding it and on and on....but I was REALLY amazed at how will it did! I followed another 300ex to kinda learn and I can't believe I thought I really needed 4wd so much! I didn't have problems getting stuck or anything! I did stand it up on the wheelie bar going up a somewhat steep and very eneven bank....still learning that momentum is my friend. Luckily it was up the hill before it went so far back so I, nor the fourwheeler, rolled back down. I still really love it, though! Can't wait to ride some more. And learning how to ride it really well would be a plus. Just starting to get wheelies down a little bit and I drag raced the other 300ex the other day that had a pipe and holeshots, etc. and I kicked ****. He had a lot more weight than me with a DG bumper, nerf bars, he weighed 40+ pounds more, too. No one likes losing to a girl, I have to give him a little credit with the weight there. Anyways, just still love the new quad!