Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Any advice on which quad to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003 | 02:07 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Any advice on which quad to get?

I just sold my 2002 Rancher ES 4x4 today, just for the sake of getting something new. I am going shopping tomorrow for a new one...I can't decide, though, here are my first considerations:

Rancher AT
2004 Rancher ES (same as my old one, but new styling and doesn't need new tires [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
250EX

I am female, 5'2", 108 lbs. I ride everything (except sand, we just don't have that here): technical trails, racing, tracks, I love jumps, mud, hills, speed!, challenging terrain, whatever is in front of me. I would love a quad that does all of this well. The p700 does all that I would want my machine to do, but it's too big for me. I am not accustomed to riding 2wd in anything but a race, I am a weenie as far as thinking I need 4wd on all hills and in all mud. I liked my all-time 4wd on the rancher so I didn't have to worry about it. My Rancher did all of these things, but the suspension was that of a radio flyer, and really not a racer!!! I beat 3 out of 4 250ex's with it in the last harescramble, but there is a big difference in suspension and turning ability of the two machines.

Any advice???? Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2003 | 02:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The AT has selectable 2wd/4wd, so you get the best of both worlds! Landing a jump wrong (front wheels first) can be a big mistake on the full-time 4wd Rancher, unless you are alert enough to really get on the gas and pull the front end out. Know what, I think the AT and 350 Ranchers have about the same suspension????? So, the AT wouldn't be a big improvement there.

Sounds to me like you are into more sport riding than ute kind of stuff anyway, right? The 250EX is a real nice bike!! Some 200 POUNDS LIGHTER THAN THE RANCHER AT!!!! That's like losing a 200 lb. handicap!! Shaft drive is nice when you are in a lot of mud/water.

At your size and weight, the 300EX is a great choice too. It has REAL sport bike suspension (a big step up from the ute derived 250), jumps very well, and has more power than the 250. I use to bust out some pretty big air on the little 300. And, you may really enjoy the step up to a real manual clutch bike!! And, what about a little 225 lb. Blaster???? Tons of fun, for not to much money.

Old 12-08-2003 | 03:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took a moment to look at your pictures. There was pics of mud, snow and hills. I think that a 250ex would be a step backwards for you and not really great for mud and snow riding. The Rancher 350 would be a step to the side. The Rancher AT would be a little step forward and allow you to shift from 4 to 2 wheel drive. Maybe you'd like a Rincon instead of the Prairie 650? The two are very similar in size and weight though. You could also consider the Eiger or Kodiaks. I'm going to write the Rincon so "mine" (of me & mine) doesn't leave you too far behind. Second choice: Kodiak 450 because of a higher top speed than the 400AT. Only you know what you really need and want. Good luck with your choice.

Old 12-08-2003 | 03:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I took a look at your pictures too. If you can get that much air out of a heavy 4X4, you need to get a YFZ or TRX 450 (just 350 lbs.!!). Then practice, and you can be in Huevos 7.

Sounds like you need two bikes: A 4X4 for the mud and snow, and a nice little sport bike to actually have some fun on. Personally, I just hate the size and weight of the utes. That's why, I'll have nothing bigger than a Rancher (even the Rancher is way to heavy). But, I ride mostly technical trail rock-crawling kind of stuff, where a big monster mud-bogger is a real handicap. At your height and weight, I would keep it on the small side!!

Old 12-08-2003 | 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

You need a 400EX [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But if you must have a 4X4 Utility type machine then get a Praire 650 or so.

Old 12-08-2003 | 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

the 700P is my pick... I'm the same size/weight as you. The praire can be a calm bike but it can be wake up fast it's more the driver that controls it counts. I know alot of people feel the praire is big; but when they drive it they can not stop saying how nice it is. I would look at the vinnie if you want smaller but you will find that it's not the praire. The 650 also is the bike that I feel the mose comfoirtable on on the real aggressive trails because of the low center of grav. and if you put 25" muddrunner runflats on it....

Old 12-08-2003 | 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DeuceRooster
You need a 400EX [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But if you must have a 4X4 Utility type machine then get a Praire 650 or so.

wut he said,.. climbing big hills in 2wd drive isnt as hard as you think you just might need a little more speed when approaching the hill.. look into a z400 and a 400ex either bike is great, just comes down to which one fits you better

Old 12-09-2003 | 12:54 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thank you very much for all the input! I went shopping today...It is now between the Rancher AT and the 500 H.O. Scrambler. I'm having a very tough time deciding. I like the Rancher because I was so comfortable with mine, I would love riding it, but I would miss out on speed, jumping and racing. I do like the reliability and the lack of maintenance needed. I know the Scrambler isn't great for jumping, but I think it's better than the Rancher since it has better suspension. I REALLY LIKE the power and speed of the Scrambler!!! I also really like that it is literally a sport utility, moreso than the other "sport utilities" IMO.

Any input on the comparison of these two as far performance and maintenance??? THANK YOU!

Old 12-09-2003 | 02:13 PM
Range Rover

You may also want to consider an Outlander 400.

Old 12-10-2003 | 03:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd say to go with the Rancher 400AT for every other reason except that you might use it to race. If I was going to get second quad, I'd go with the Rancher but I don't race. I always have a problem with telling someone to get a Polaris. I almost bought a Polaris 3 years ago and heard too many negative stories about them. (From people I know that have owned Polaris) You may never have a problem ever with the Scrambler. You could get a Rancher and have a problem with the ES system or something. I wonder if Warn has a 424 kit available for the Scrambler? The kit might come in handy. It really is a tough decision. You could really use two quads, one utility and one sport. Have you ever considered a Wolverine? It's a little unfinished looking but it weighs around 100lb less than the Scrambler and 90lb less than the Rancher AT. Semi-auto 5 speed with disc brakes all around. The 424 is available for the Wolverine. The Scrambler may be a little faster than the Wolverine. The Wolverine retails at $5199. while the Scrambler retails for $5999. Really, I think you should probably get the Rancher 400AT. It's just the darn racing thing.

Quick Reply: Any advice on which quad to get?