Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

Old 01-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please Help

Shopping for the best 500cc 4x4 does anyone have any great advise. Will be an all purpose machine, I think that I have come to the conclusion that I want the IRS for maximum ground clearance, tight technical trails, etc. I know I am giving up some stability, and sportiness. I would like to eventually attach a plow as I now have about 18" of snow.

Does anyone have any pro's or cons in regards to Polaris Sportsman 500 or the Arctic Cat 500? I know they are both heavy, but they seem to be the only IRS units in the 500cc class.
I purchased a used 2003-AC 300 4x4 a couple of weeks ago as a unit for my girl friend to ride, not overly impressed with that rocker shifter, but other than that seems to be a decent machine. Any pro's and cons would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please Help

if that rocker shifter on the AC is your only problem then go with the AC 500, as with all of us AC owners the rocker shifter was a pain at first but we quickly grow to love that thing and wonder how we ever lived without it

Old 01-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please Help

I was actually thinking of getting the automatic to get away from that rocker shifter, unless anyone has a reason not too.
Does the manual 500 have the EBS?

Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please Help

what do you mean EBS? Do you mean Engine Braking System, if so then i would have to say that in a way yes because all manuals have engine braking, but i see no reason why you wont enjoy the auto either,

Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please Help

Yes sir-Engine Braking Systems what I meant, Sorry stupid question on my part I guess. Sorry I'm kinda new to this 4 wheeler stuff crossing over from 2 wheels auto's werent options.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Please Help

You might want to look at the sp500. Auto with a great engine braking system. I very happy with mine. Good Luck.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please Help

Keep in mind, on Polaris 4x4's, engine breaking is ONLY on the rear wheels and this can surprise you when going down a steep hill and the rear wheels lock and you slide sideways...The front wheels will only engage when the rears loose traction and spin. I know as I wrecked a SP700 on a very steep hill with gravel..Great quads, just need to know their limitations.. My Cat has engine breaking on all fours.. just an FYI..

Old 01-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Please Help

ColoradoGrizz, is correct the engine braking is only on the rear wheels (I did not know the cats had them on all four). He is also correct in knowing what your machine can and cant do. This is why I am very hesitant in "lending" my machine to anyone that does not have experience, unless its just for a spin in an open field. Engine braking is not a new concept, some trucks have Jake brakes (Engine braking), and others have grade retarders (transmission braking). The most important think is to become familar with your machine, and keep in the back of your mind that medical costs and repair costs can be mighty expensive. Have Fun, and ride safe.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Please Help

I've been riding an 02 Cat 500i with 5 spd manual for almost two years now. You get used to the rocker shifter. Think of it as a Harley shifter... Actually, it's very nice when you have big muddy boots on. Cat also sells a conventional shifter for $15.

Downhill braking is unreal with the manual. Put it in 1st low, and it just crawls. Does brake all 4 wheels, too.