Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying my first atv

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first atv

Hello everyone. I have decided to buy my first atv but I have no
exerience in the quality of the atv's available today. I hear alot about
the quality of the honda's but I want an atv that I'm not limited to the
drive selection.... 4x4 only like the honda. So I've kinda narrowed my
selections down to Polaris and Artic Cat, primarily because of my 2 co-workers
one that has a polaris and the other has an Artic cat. They each praise their ride
like it is the best. I have only ridden a 1999 Sportsman 500 once and never an Artic Cat.
I am leaning towards a 500 in one or the other. I deer hunt and want something
"Dependable and stout. I hear alot about the dependability of the Polaris any truth
to it.

Any advice and input will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Honda has a 400 AT switchable 4wh 2wh. Many new machines have that option.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ride the Cat before you make up your mind, I believe you will be impressed with the Cats frame, ride, true IRS suspension, ground clearance. They are a very good machine.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gooseman
I hear alot about the dependability of the Polaris any truth
to it.
Definitly go check out a Cat!

Old 02-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The SP500 HO is a great machine. Smooth reliable power and torque from the 500HO motor. EXCELLENT suspension with the IRS. Great rack capacity. TRUE 4wd with the flip of a switch. Just an overall awsome machine. It has the power and torque for just about anything. Dont be surprised if you see some punk azz kids come on here and start talking crap about Polaris and it being unreliable. They seem to like their amazing ability to crap and talk out their azzes at the same time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Polaris has come a LONG way over the last 5 or 6 years in reliablilty. They are tough, strong, powerful machines. They can take a beating, trust me. Yes, they are heavy compared to the other makes, but when you look the strength and the way the frames are built really tough, and the other heavy duty suspension and drivetrain components used compared to the other makes, you will see where the extra weight went to. But my best suggestion is to ride both and see what you like best.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] man you have opened one of those cans of worms that could turn into a he!! of a argument but here we go . artic cat is a dressed up combo of kawa & suzuk basicaly a praire in cats colors with the big plus in suspension. good ride this comp. has come a long way in the last few years all & all a solid ride . ..........polaris (here comes the fight ) one of the two smoothest rides out there , power is good . engine braking is questionable , alot of recent belt problems , no greese fittings on suspenion , alot of axel bearing problems as of late , a warenty that is not worth the paper it is on (becuase anything past six months is not handled by polaris ) if your local dealer is not fighting for you then you are SOL.....neither of these two brands would be my choice butt then i dont get to see much of either one unless i am dragging them out of a he!! hole so i can go on through.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Every ATV company out there makes good machines now. I went with the Cat because of the true IRS, the 12" ground clearance, and the real 4x4. Nothing against Polaris, I rode them for 4 years and they are perfect for a lot of people, but they have a sway bar that counter-acts their IRS, (although it makes is less tippy) and I got stuck too many time with their 4x4. It requires up to 20% rear wheel slipage before the fronts will engage. With the Cat, I hardly ever have the problem of only 3 wheels spinning, and if it happens all I have to do is squeeze the brake slightly and it will walk right out. I use mine for plowing, towing, riding, and serious hunting, (mostly moose and caribou) and the Cat met all my needs and preferences. If I was just on the trails all day I would look at something more sporty. Those are just my thoughts. Oh, I guess what it really comes down to is what you can get the best deal on too. $$$$ money talks! Good luck!

Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out atvtv.com. They have some accurate reviews in my opinion.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:29 PM
TRV
Trailblazer

I would not give much weight to ATV TV because they are sponsored by ATV brands so will ALWAYS give those brands the best rating. The moron has consistently placed Arctic Cat below the pack but yet on his week long Utah ride he rode an Arctic Cat as his personal machine.