Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

4x4 for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 for the wife

The Wolverine is a great quad. She WILL get muddy. If I were you I'd take a serious look at the Kodiak or a Bruin, Since she has 0 experience. Theres nothing wrong with the Wolverine for her, its just that she may enjoy the automatic trans. and better mud protection. Besides, the Bruin and Kodiak look alot like the grizzly. If you got the same color, you'd almost have matching quads. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default 4x4 for the wife

I know you wanted to stay with a Yahmadog, just like I wanted to stay with Honda when buying a first 4x4 for my wife. I figured she (45 years old ) would ride more if I got her the most comfortable quad I could find. It took a lot of reading and reasearch but I ended up getting her a 400 4x4 Bombardier Outlander. It has plenty of power, easy steering, high/low. and most imprtant of all a very comfortable seat and IRS.

Yes they are a little strange to look at. But they have won most of the comparision in the 400cc class. She loves the ride and handling. And instead of me worring about how slow she would be out on the trails; her confidence in the Bomb now has me worried about how fast she goes.

Just one more option I think you should consider, good luck.
Greg

Old 04-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 4x4 for the wife

I replied to this originally as I formally owned a Yamaha Timberwolf. I up graded to the Outlande 400 and love this bike! It is light that I will say but it competes with the polaris 500 and my performance on the straight stretches was only out done by a polaris 700. Other then that in the muck and snow this bike leaves the compatition standing still. Jumping I won't even get into how well she handles on those jumps! I love this bike, so if you don't mind the looks which you get real us to real quick, I love this bike.

P

Old 04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default 4x4 for the wife

I agree with what everyone else has said... if heavy steering is an issue, the Wolverine is a good choice. The Kodiak will be a littl eheavier steering. I just bought my first Honda (Ribicon) after many Yamaha's, and althoug I really like the auto transmission, the full time 4x4 makes it feel like you are lifting weights at slow speed. I am told the 424 from Warn will do wonders on this.. so that will be a purchase on my list of things to buy.

With the kodiak, along with the automatic transmission, you get liquid cooling and a host of neat little gadgets.. Are they worth the increased price over a Wolverine, only your wife can answer that. Have her ride one of each to see which she is more comfortable on.

I'd also throw out the Rancher 450 4x4 automatic.. lower ride height, auto tranny with reverse, electric 4x4 and diff lock.. All great things to have in the wild.