Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

dang parents

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dang parents

hey just keep the money going where it is it will pay off in the long run. you may want this and that but, when and if you get it the jole thing will not be as big as you have made it out to be. i saved and went to a technical school to learn a trade (electrical). after finishing i was offered a job like 150 miles from home and i jumped at it. so to make a longer story short i now have been here for 7 years working in the field. with this job i move around quite a bit (in reno, nv now) and i have all the toys i need look in pics or sig and have no time to play. so go to college and and get a good job as not to travel and leave home. this is just my two cents on this. also when you do go to college you willl be able to type and write better than me so just deal with it.

credit is good and bad.
it is good to have if needed
it is bad to have re: i want this one ok sign here and ther you have it.

mark s.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

Wow, you don't know how good you have it. I miss the days when I was young and still lived at home, I too had to listen to Mom and Dad's advice, I sure do miss those days more and more as I get older. It just sounds to me like you have some real nice parents that care about your future.

Old 05-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

dont get me wrong i love my parents and i think they r the coolest parents a kid could have, but i just dont agree with them telling me what i can and cant spend my money on. i work for my money and i want to spend it on what i want

Old 05-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default dang parents

A parents job is to teach a child how to survive in this crazy World. Your parents are trying to guide you until you are responsible enough to control your own life. They may not feel that you are ready to have complete control of your money. If you want to spend your future away on a quad then you probably aren't ready. There will come a day that your parents will not be there for you. You may have to guide your own children and you will realize why your parents did everything they did. (Because they love you.) You can take this time to learn from your parents or you can just fight them every step of the way. The funny thing is they'll still love you either way.

You should work harder and earn more money. Tell your parents that you want to buy a quad but you realize how important your education is to them and your future. Tell them that you will work harder to continue saving for your future. (a specific amount per month) But you want to save anything over that amount to buy a quad. This will show them that you understand what is important but you're willing to work for the quad.

It really is not a good idea to take out a 1 to 4 year loan right before you go to college. Your savings are going to go fast and you might need to take out student loans. Student loans add up fast. It's really a better idea to save up and pay cash. Then you aren't stuck with a loan and you don't have to pay more money in interest. If you act like you understand and that you are responsible. Your parents may start believing that you are responsible. Then you will have control.

Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

Originally posted by: ATVmadman
i have wanted a 400ex for like 5 years and i have a great job. they wont let me finance a quad and i know that i could handle the responsability. i have a ton of money in the bank for college but i cant take any money out of it until college and i cant use it for anything but college. i think it sucks. what should i do i have been trying to talk them into it for like 5 years and they still wont let me.
I know what you mean, it's been the same way for me.
I have an awesome job, and my rents wouldn't let me buy my YFZ...I actually ended up taking them to the dealer w/ me to check out pricing, and showed them that i could own one for about $60 a month minimum payment. Seeing as though my car insurance alone is 360 a month, they figured that the extra 60 wasn't bad at all...Actually, They usually let me pay more than $60 a month to get it done quicker..
The best advice i could give to you, is to actually go to a dealer, sit down with a sales rep, figure out EXACTLY what the deal is out the door, and take the deal to your parents. If you find a decentprice, they might just let you do it..
then again, you could always wait until you get to college, and just buy it when you move out?? ..considering you move into some dorms..

Old 05-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default dang parents

Originally posted by: ATVmadman
dont get me wrong i love my parents and i think they r the coolest parents a kid could have, but i just dont agree with them telling me what i can and cant spend my money on. i work for my money and i want to spend it on what i want
ATVmadman:

I have been watching this thread with growing respect for your comments and attitude. You sound like a fine young man and please notice I didn't say "kid" because it seems you have progressed beyond that stage.

You have recieved a lot of good advice from members of this forum and the majority seem to think your parents are doing a good thing by restricting your spending habits. The comments have pointed out the pitfalls of taking on a debt just prior to making a major move, collage, in your life. Concern was voiced about your having no credit history if you do not make payments on something to establish a payment pattern. I wouldn't be too concerned about this as credit is not hard to get if you have a savings account that has been in place for a reasonable period of time. The regular deposits into such an account will speak volumes to a credit manager.

You may not agree with your parents decisions in this matter but they apparently love you as you love them. With this in mind it is obvious they have your best intrests in mind. Keep the faith young man and it will all work out for the best. Sometimes when you are young having to wait for a year or two for something seems like forever but believe me your time will come.

You seem to have a great start on your life and I wish you the best of fortunes for your future.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

thanks tencubed. i know saving up for college is the right thing and that my parents just want the best for me. the thing is though my parents are paying for most of college and all the money in my bank account is for spending money while i am in college. plus the first year of college which is next year i am going to a community college which is only $2500 a year, and i easily have that payed for. i could pay for two years of college there no prob. that is why i dont understand it, plus i will still be putting money into my bank account no matter what. i am willing to stop spending money on the stuff i dont need that i buy now and spend it on a quad and still put money in the bank

Old 05-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

i guess it can wait but i want a 400ex soooooo bad. i have rode my friends and mine doesnt even compare to feeling i get when i ride his quad. i just have to have one.

Old 05-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default dang parents

yeah i went to the bank today to deposit more of my hard earned money, and i found out exactly how much money i have in my account and i have 6,610$ and they still wont let me get a quad