Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2000 kodiak vs.prairie vs.scrambler500

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-1999, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need something that will handle good,good suspension,and good power. I know the scrambler is the fastest but what about the other two,which is fastest,which is the best all around machine for trail riding, mudding,and etc. Your help would be great!

------------------

Old 08-08-1999, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

i would get the 500 scrambler it is a good trail machine because it is easy to get it side ways and it is a good mud machine because of the true 4 wheel drive i know that the other one have the advamtage of ground clearencei have a 500 and i like it alot you decide

Old 08-09-1999, 01:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Simple things to note- The scrambler is obviously the fastest with the prarie probably second if they arent lying with the 57 mph thing, and the kodiak dead last. Ground clearance is obviously a toss up between the kawi and yamaha. The chain on the scrambler isnt too happy in rocky conditions. The kodiak is the only one with engine braking. They are all automatic, so nobody has a preconcieved water advantage. the kawasaki cannot run in 2wd like the others. The scrambler doesn't have a low range, and heavy hauling will put more stress on its belt(at least Polaris says so). As for a reccomendation, I don't have one. Its not up to me and I dont want to try and sway a person this way or that.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-09-1999, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode my friend's scrambler500 that thing flies.I don't really like the handling manners of it. I also rode the 2000kodiak, decent power, good suspension, awesome handling how does it compare to the prairie400 in speed and handling? The kodiak seemed to be a pretty good trail machine rode behind one all day on my 300ex, is the prairie as sporty as the kodiak out on the trails?

Old 08-09-1999, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

I have just spent all weekend ridding my new
Kodiak and have ridden a Prairie for about an hour. These two quads are much different in
engine design.
The kodiak has been designed for the recreational trail rider that also hunts. On-command 4wd very nice. In 2wd the quad is still pretty darn sporty for 578lbs. The high and low range are for completely different uses. High range is for two things putting along in 2wd or ridding hard (high rpms) in 2wd or 4wd low range putting along in 4wd or doing some serious work in 2wd or 4wd. I don't think that in High range the Kodiak will spin all three tires. At least at 5000ft altitude it probably won't, Low range it is no problem I tried it in low range forgot to try to spin them in High range don't think it will.
The torque curve I think is probably shaped like a hockey stick at least at high altitude it is and this would make sense due to thinner air.
The engine braking is top notch I did a full ride review under Yamha 2000 kodiak owners.
Keep in mind this was all at 4300-5200ft in altitude with stock jetting.

The prairie is designed for the hunter, farmer, utility person that would like to get out and ride some trails occasionaly. Very nice quad engine braking is fine brakes are good, not as good as the Polaris but good. No opinion on the suspension wasn't mine so I didn't ride it hard enough to really tell. I feel the torque and horsepower curves on the Kawasaki are better for all around ridding in High range and low range is great for working.
I Can't tell you much about the Polaris but if you plan and using your quad for Hunting maybe the Kawasaki would be better suited to
your needs but if you plan on doing a bunch
of recrational riding the get one with on-command (Yamaha) or on-demand (Polaris) 4wd a bunch more fun to slide around on the trails in 2wd. You have to make the call and buy the one you like best and don't let $300 or $400 make the decision for you in the long
run that money won't matter.

Muddy Doug E
2000 Kodiak, 425 Magnum, 220 Bayou

Old 08-09-1999, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Muddy Doug, my friend has a Magnum 425 that seems pretty fast for a utility quad. Will the new Kodiak run with the 425? Which is faster in a drag race and trails? Thanks for the help

------------------

Old 08-21-1999, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

if i had a choice between a prairie 400 4x4 and kodiak 400 4x4 i would get the kodiak. it has on command 2wd or 4wd. As for scrambler it is more of a sport quad and has no racks.

Old 08-21-1999, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

you can get racks for the scrambler and if you buy one new you get the $250 in acceries so then you could get racks

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 08-21-1999, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I had to choose one out of the three the kodiak would be it. I don't like chains and a quad without engine breaking on steep long grades can be hair razing. I wan't to buy a 400 prairie bad for the wife but the engine braking was the only thing stopping me.

Gonna wait and see if honda comes out with something new for a change in a 4x4 and if they don't! I like the new polaris 425 expedition and the kodiak but I'm not wild about single lever braking ether.

But that's my personal opinion. q:-)

mborum (2000 GRIZZ, HD FLHC (belt drive), and alot of other neat toys)

Old 08-23-1999, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

Superman,

I can promise you this The Kodiak will win everytime with riders of equal weight.
My dad and I, raced both of the quads dad about 190-200lbs and me a trim 165lbs. The Kodiak won everytime with either of us on the kodiak. In about 200ft I could get about 2-2.5 quad lengths in front and still pulling then I shut it down didn't want to run the fresh new motor too hard. With my dad on the Kodiak me on the Magnum the Kodiak still would pull ahead only about 1 quad length so weight is an issue. High and low range 2wd or 4wd didn't matter the Kodiak would win everytime. The Magnum had smaller tires and K&N airfilter and clutch work, Kodiak bone stock. The smaller tires shoud've been an advantage for the Magnum smaller tire=more leverage(torque) to the ground. If the magnum has stock tires or even larger ones you'll have it for lunch!! Now I don't know about the Honda 450 4wheel ATV says the 450 will beat a Expedition (425 magnum motor) pretty "handily" pretty vague probably for Hondas benefit. So a Honda 450 and the Kodiak will come down to rider skill and stock vs mods and tires etc etc blah blah blah!!!
My opinion is that the Magnum handles better than the Kodiak this can be easily fixed by increasing the the front wheel width adding wheel spacers from highlifter or anyone else. I really like to slide around corners and fly through berms and the 425 will do it better than the Kodiak difference is that the 425 is three inches wider in the front than the Kodiak, and the Magnum is wider in the front than in the back. I think the stock Dunlop tires that come on the Kodiak really stink or the front just needs the spacers will not know until I get the spacers. I will let you all know when I get them and how it effects handling. If I was to make an assesment the Kodiak suffers from a little oversteer this should be fixed with increasing the front width also.
One little side note is my Magnum 425 is 2wd therfore lighter than a 4wd, 2wd is 537lbs vs. the Kodiak 545lbs both are dry weight figures. My Kodiak also has about a 60lb winch on the front at the time of the race so at the time the Kodiak probably was hauling an extra 70 lbs compared to the Magnum the motor was impressive!
Overall I would pick the Kodiak over the Magnum anyday and as a matter of fact I did this weekend!!!!

Muddy Doug E