Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I don't want to buy two quads!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-1999, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some advice on buying an ATV. I am torn between buying a new sport quad for trail riding and buying a utility quad for hunting. Money isn’t an issue, however, I don’t want to buy two bikes because one can’t handle both purposes.

Right now I borrow my brother’s Scrambler to ride mountain trails. At the end of the ride, I am really tired and beat. The Scrambler takes so much effort to steer and maneuver. Most of the time, I ride it with the AWD off; except for some mud holes and hills. I really like the idea of having AWD, but, not at the cost of additional weight, reduced handling, and more complexity of mechanical things that may fail. I also like going fast and keeping up with other sport ATVs.

I also need a hunting ATV that can help me haul my gear, tree stand, weapons (and occasional deer) along logging roads and trails that are much easier to navigate through than the mountain trails.

I am leaning towards purchasing a 400EX, because I think that its probably easier to make it a light utility ATV out of a sport ATV, than it is to make a sport ATV out of a utility ATV. However, I have not seen to many things offered for the 400EX (like racks, holders, winches, etc.) to support my line of thought.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Old 08-20-1999, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

if i was you i would get a scrambler you could get racks and a hitch i have a scrambler and i am only 14 and it isnt the hard to turn at least i dont think so or you could get a wolverine well it is up to you it is your own money

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 08-20-1999, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

You may want to check out the Polaris Xplorer 400. It has a 400cc 2-stroke with selectable AWD. It won't be a really good sport machine, but is one of the sportiest utility machines.

Another option would be the Yamaha Wolverine. Some of the ATV Rags really like it.

Good luck finding that perfect balance,

------------------
Kevin Staton
Windrock ATV Club
2000 Polaris Magnum 325 4x4

Old 08-21-1999, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rodman, when you ask for advice on this topic you really open a can of worms... the advice is always free, if not relevant, so here is some more.. you make the classification.
In utility quads the list is endless, but I would scratch the 400ex right off the list.The bird, however good it may be, is a hybrid to begin with, neither a sport nor a performance machine in it's present state of development,so making a hybrid of a hybrid is futile, in my opinion. That said, I'd look hard at the Wolverine, the original so- called sport/ute. It has basically the same engine the Warrior has altho detuned, and has a proven track record over the past decade. I believe it can be ordered with or without racks, has decent suspension, fairly decent all purpose tires, and when it's play time you can make an air box modification, stick a pipe on it, pop the racks off, and go run with the big boys!
I say all this as a KQ and Warrior owner so I would say I was unbiased ").

Cal, the Az hardpacker

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-21-1999).]

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-21-1999).]

Old 08-21-1999, 06:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My guess here would obviously be between a scrambler and a wolverine. The only thing that I could figure about the scrambler steering would be the way you sit on the bike compared to the handlebar setup. A guy told me once that he got tired because he sat far back on the seat and had to reach a long way for the bars. Whatever that means I guess. I dont know. The wolverine has a good setup and is pretty good for both. It isn't super low geared in first and wouldn't be the choice to haul a trailer full of hay, but then again what percentage of peopler are going to do that anyway. Its a fairly fast bike, not so much as a scrambler, but still not a slug. The shaft drive gives it less maintenance as well. The Polaris has that advantage of part time 4wd and will probably be sportier in fast riding because it can go in 2wd. It doesn't have that limited slip full time front differential though which is neat for railing around dirt road curves. Four wheel drive just lets you hang on the loose stuff. Even my big fat *** 500 AC can go faster around a loose gravel curve than my 2wd Honda 300, but the honda can do donuts all day where the AC can't. I would rule out the 400EX if I was wanting something to put racks on and haul a deer with. Same goes for the warrior. The front racks on the Wolverine are bigger than the ones you can get for the scrambler and the rear racks that you would have on any of these will stick out well past the rear tire. Anything real heavy loaded on these will make the front end extremely light, so if I was carrying a deer, I would want a large front rack to put it on. I have seen a 2wd Honda 300 bring 2 deer(69 position) on the front racks and two grown men (about 180lbs each) out of a hollow so I guess anything can be done. This wasn't a joyride. When going down one hill, the guy on back had to walk behind and hold the rear of the quad down so it wouldn't endo.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-21-1999, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

rodman1
If you can hold out for a month or so.Honda has not finished releasing it's 2000 line up.Their are one or two new items waiting in the wings that may intrest you.

Remember.
The 400ex brochure was released in 10/98.
The 400ex was released in 12/98