Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

grizzley vs. ac500 vs. polaris 500

Old 09-27-1999, 10:57 PM
mo
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a polaris 425 magnum now have had problems with trans slipping because of the housing being stepped on by kids and probley myself. Is there a metal cover to repace the plastic one or another fix if so i probably would buy the polaris. Mine is a 1995 model are the new ones better or which atv would suit me better. I have 3 kids who also ride.I use mainly for spraying the yard and hunting. Where I hunt I have to go thru some pretty deep water to get to the blind under some pretty cold conditions.

Old 09-28-1999, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

I think the Arctic Cat's Aluminum Cvt cover would help. But I think you might be better off with one of the others.

Reasons:
The air intake on the Grizzly and the Polarises are a good bit higher than the Arctic Cat's.

I don't think you need all that power of the 600 and 500s unless you plan on running 27-12s allthe way around.

Why not run a manual trans if you are going in water that deep? If you do get a manual transmission quad, I can tell you that the Arctic Cat 500 is the best.
Why?:
More touqe than a Grizzly.
More rack capacity, for that big deer. NO PLASTIC RACKS.
A better reliability record than both the Grizz and the Sportsman, it's built like a tank or maybe more like a Hummer.
A suspension second only to the Sportsman.
Almost no matainance.
The manual trans will never slip because the belt got wet, no belts.
Water cooled.
Floorboards that don't trap mud, which make it slipery and rust.
Comes from the factory with 12 inch wheels all the way around, Don't need a bigfoot kit, only need tires.

Arctic Cat 500, The bigger Cat

Old 09-28-1999, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

Ive never herd of this reliability problem on the 99 grizzly and newer and they also fixed all the belt problems and is written up as top notch belt system also liqud cooled only means if you over heat and it sucks up all your water your stuck being towed out an oil cooled quad just needs to cool down rember ther has been lots of oil cooled quads befor liquid not that the artic cat isnt a great quad i just dont hink you should be so hard on the grizzly
Michael Bencivengo

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed,Warn 2500 Winch

lumber1@rochester.rr.com

Old 09-28-1999, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

A friend had the same problem, but on a '99 Sportsman 500. His kids riding on the back used it as a step, and a foot rest. (Now I see why they put the stickers there).

The easy solution would be don't step on it, but that's easier said than done for some people, especially little kids.

Old 09-28-1999, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Grizzly owners. I was talking about the problems the Grizz had in 98.

Mr. BIG, you are right about the overheating problem, but do you honestly think that you could over heat bad enough to have no water left?

As far as the Grizzly haveing a top notch belt system, I have heard other wise. Atv magazine and Atv connection loved the Suzuki/Arctic Cat's trans. They said this is as close to nolag as you can get and the compresion braking was great. I don't have the Atv mag now but I think they said The Arctic Cats transmisson is the best auto trans they have ever tested.

Arctic Cat, When Grizzlies don't cut it

Old 09-29-1999, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boner,I to have SEEN and HEARD of the belt problems on the 98 Grizz's.I also have heard MANY overheating problems with that yr Grizz as well.They were suppose to have straightend out them problems for 99 though.BILL

Old 09-29-1999, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer

I don't have a lot on input for you , because I just bought a Foreman S. We were riding with a AC 500 a couple of weeks ago and he got in some thick mud and it looked to me as if he couldn't spin the stock tires enough to clean them out. Needless to say we pulled him out and he got stuck again (same thing) before he could get all the way out.

Old 09-29-1999, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Stump, was it a 99 AC 500 with the bigger tires? I have a 99 and have been very impressed with the torque it has..can't imagine a situation in which the tires wouldn't spin if in deep mud, at least in low range! I haven't even been able to bog the motor down going up fairly steep hills slowly in 4th or 5th gear.

Getting it stuck, however, THAT I can believe! I haven't seen a quad yet that I couldn't get stuck! Ain't that half the fun?!

------------------
Rob Ervin 99' AC500

Old 09-29-1999, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Stump, was it a 99 AC 500 with the bigger tires? I have a 99 and have been very impressed with the torque it has..can't imagine a situation in which the tires wouldn't spin if in deep mud, at least in low range! I haven't even been able to bog the motor down going up fairly steep hills slowly in 4th or 5th gear.

Getting it stuck, however, THAT I can believe! I haven't seen a quad yet that I couldn't get stuck! Ain't that half the fun?!

------------------
Rob Ervin 99' AC500

Old 11-10-1999, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider

By the way stump did you try going through that hole that the AC 500 got stuck in ???
I ride with a buddy of mine who has the foreman and it won't even come close to going through some of the mud holes I go through and won't even attempt some of the hills I climb in dem dar hills in WV...

Got Mud...you bet