Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What troubles have you had with your ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1999, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello am thinking on buying a ATV was wondering if anyone have had any trouble with there atv what I mean is any kind of trouble like overheating unusual breaking etc. I am also looking for a atv which has true 4 wheel drive I mean 4 wheels spinning not alternating on the front if not does any atv have this...thanks...BiLL

------------------

Old 10-31-1999, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True four-wheel drive? Oh, no! Not that again!

Depends upon the defitnition of "true four-wheel drive."

If you mean all wheels turn as one at all times, then only the Suzuki King Quad (or deftly-modified Arctic Cat 300 4X4), when the front differential is locked, fits that definition.

In fact, no commercial truck or automobile, be it Subaru, Explorer, Blazer, Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, etc., or any manufacturer's line of "4X4" pickups and trucks, meets that definition (unless they are equipped with locking differentials, both front and rear).

Why not? Because all highway 4X4 vehicles have differentials, devices dividing power differentially between two driving wheels, both front and rear. They may be "open" differentials, or they may be "limited-slip" differentials (the latter are designed to bias torque from a spinning wheel to one with traction), but none is "true 4x4" by the "all four wheels must turn together" definition.

So what? Differential 4X4, especially with good limited-slip properties, ain't all that shabby--a Wolverine with a stock front end won the Rocky Mountain Jamboree mud pit competition with a stock limited-slip front end, for example, against ALL competition.

Now Polaris owners, I do not ignore you; when Polaris front hubs are engaged, all four wheels turn together (Polairses have no differentials). However, in my view, the Polaris "on-demand" 4WD system does not fit the initiator's definition, although when Polaris front hubs are engaged, all four wheels do turn together. I don't think the Polaris system meets the definition because of the "all the time" requirement; Polaris front hubs disengage transparently and without action from the rider, putting the machine in 2WD mode, when no slippage exists between front and rear wheels. I do not detract from the Polaris reputation of excellent traction in muddy situations; I address only the specialized "true 4WD" definition.

Tree Framer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 10-31-1999).]

Old 10-31-1999, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Tree Faremer explained that really well.[good job]And the undefined definition of TRUE 4X4 really depends alot on who your talking to.Even Polaris defines ther're AWD system as TRUE 4X4.After a long debate with Mr Banks on the subject,I to have decided that Polaris AWD system is not a True 4X4 system.Although,I 've personally not seen anything yet out do the AWD system of the Polaris in serious mudding events.I personally will not purchase any 4x4 quad that does not power ALL 4 wheels when 4x4 is activated.Being the owner of two KQs,which in my opionion is an underpowerded 4x4,and the owner of 99 500cc Sportsman AWD 4x4,I see no reason why some of the other manufactures dont use the AWD system of Polaris.It is very simplified,works absolutly flawless,and gives all four wheels power when activated.If others would use the Pol's AWD system,I'd be looking their way.You can purchase an aftermarket Locker kit for certain 4x4 models,but unless mudding is all you do,dont concider it.It steers way to heavy for casual trail riding.Good Luck -----BILL

Old 11-01-1999, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

The only 4x4 I know that has four wheel drive all the time is the Terra Jet amphibious 4x4. Max and HydroTraxx are the only two 6x6s with six wheel drive all the time.

MaxRules

Old 11-08-1999, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

Bill,

Be honest, wouldn't your really rather have the King Quad with the 500cc engine in it then the polaris. That would combine the best of both worlds, power/torque and "true 4 wheel drive.

I know I would, now it we could just get Suzuki to build it.

------------------
Eric Baatz 1996 Suzuki KING QUAD Remember the KING Lives!!

Old 11-08-1999, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,Ive said all along,why dont Suzuki use the 500cc engine in it's KQ?I still would'nt buy it unless they went to disk brakes.Give me the 500cc engine and disk brakes and WE GOT A DEAL.GOOD DAY-----BILL